Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Bluescreens

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jank

Jank

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

Hello,

I have recently built a new computer (~4 months). Spent about 3 grand on it.
I have a core i7 920 overclocked to 3.74, evga classified mobo, dominator gt 6gb 1866 ram, bfg gtx285ocx videocard, 2 WD 1tb drives. Running Windows 7 x64 RC Build 7100

2 days ago it started doing weird things. Prior to this I had no issues, after building and overclocking it I stress tested it and it was fine.

Anyways, two days ago I left it turned on overnight (as I usually do). When I woke up it looked like it was reset. I started using it as normal and is gave me a blue screen and restarted.

At first I was looking into event logs, but later I realized that I had set it to restart the pc as soon as possible after an error. I have disabled that, and since then have taken pictures of several blue screens, but I will get back to that later.

Before doing this, I would look into event logs, and they had odd errors. I thought that it might be windows, so I reverted to an earlier date, but that did nothing. Then I ran a memtest I found on an old ubuntu CD and it found a lot of errors. But the memtest recognised my CPU as a pentium 3, so I wanted to do another memory test. I ran the windows 7 memory diagnostics twice in a row and it found no errors. I was really stumped.

Here is where I disabled restarting on errors and captured 6 bluescreens.

The first one had the error SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
the second said fileinfo.sys was the culprit
third one blamed nvlddmkm.sys
fourth one blamed ntfs.sys
the fifth was the same as the first
the sixth had no information other then the "Technical Information" with the hex numbers

Then, I got the latest version of memtest86. But for some reason the computer locks up when the test gets to 7%.
The, I wanted to see if the computer is broken or is it windows, so I got the latest version of ubuntu.
It too had a memtest. I ran it twice and it did not find any errors in the memory.
Ubuntu ran fine for a few hours. I checked the logs and nothing jumped out at me as errors.

Thats about as far as I got. I am completely stumped. I woke up one day with a busted machine, and I dont know what to do. I have been building computers for ever and have never seen anything like this.

Somebody out there please help.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

Read this article about the first error SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms795963.aspx

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Jank

Jank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:47 PM

I have returned my bios to the default settings.

I also thought that I found my problem.
I run a software called TVersity, which is a media server which I use to share content between my pc and my ps3.
And it seems that starting on that day, if somebody streamed media from me the computer blue screens.
So I have uninstalled TVersity for now, and I have not been getting any errors.

Today I tried playing Sacred 2.
During the loading of the game, I get a bluescreen that says the system prevented a bad driver from corrupting the system.
The driver name is nvlddmkm.sys.
I have started the game 3 times in a row and have gotten a blue screen all three times.
I have played this game many hours prior to the day of breakage.
I did some research and found that people had similar problems, but on vista, and they blamed bad early drivers.
But none of their situations applied to mine, where my computer worked fine and then all of a sudden stopped.
The TVersity errors might be related because it streams video, and it also can convert it into different formats, which can use the video drivers.

Another thing to note is that in my Event Manager I get only one error during normal boot up.
It is a warning that reads:
The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device USB\VID_04B0&PID_0421\000005029718.
Googling for that yields 0 results.
I have no idea what the device in question is, or how I can find out.
I have tried searching for WUDFRd, and the results are mixed.
From what I understand, it is some shared driver that many devices can use.
This would make sense, because I get blue screens from different drivers.
What is interesting though is that some forum linked WUDFRd with iTunes, and I recently installed iTunes 9.

I am really stumped here.
I don't even know how to start debugging.
I was trying to read my mini dump files, but I needed a program.
When I got it it wasnt performing 100% because it needed some symbol files.
I got them for Windows 7, but the windbg app still didnt recognise I had any.

The things that I installed last are:
microsoft windows debugging symbols
Debugging tools for windows
nvidia drivers (I thought they were an issue, so I installed the latest version)
Windows media player firefox plugin
iTunes 9
Firefox 3.5.3
Security update for windows

I am looking for any help, even tips on general debugging.

Thank you.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

Click on Device Manager, then click on 'view'. Show hidden devices and expand. Do you see any problems?

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Jank

Jank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:11 PM

No, everything is identified.

I rolled back the drivers on my video card and now I can play that game, which was Sacred 2.

I will keep using the machine and see if there are any more errors.

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the update! :huh:

MS_MVP.gif