Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp unable to boot in safe/normal/last good config mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ruun

ruun

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:42 PM

guys, i am stuck in an infinite loop it seems. i was trying to start my pc in safe mode, to delete a .exe file from C:\Windows\System32 which was suggested by a post to fix the "windows not genuine problem". To be able to do that, i ran msconfig and selected /safeboot under BOOT.INI tab suggested by another post. now everytime i try to reboot my pc it asks me to select an operating system (windows xp pro/microsft windows) if i select windows xp then it asks me to select a startup mode (safe/normal/last successful) and then no matter what i select it will reboot it self, and do the same again. If i select microsoft windows (instead of xp) then it shows MS Windows 98 screen and then goes into DOS prompt. from what i have read in some of the threads is that, i have a virus which is preventing my pc to boot in to safe mode (thus preventing me from deleting that virus in safe mode), and because i have selected /safeboot from msconfig windows will only boot in safe mode, meaning i am stuck. the workaround these threads were suggesting was to find the boot.ini file and rename it to something else, which would fix the problem, because this file holds the info about in which mode your pc should boot. i tried to rename this file from command prompt (i cant get into windows, thats why), using "ren c:\boot.ini boot.ini.bak" but it says file name invalid. i think this is because its a hidden file. then i tried "attrib -h boot.ini", but it says attrib cannot be used in DOS mode. urghhh. does anyone have any idea?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruun

ruun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:37 PM

yeaaaaaa, solved the prob, thanks to STITCH(bumped into this guy at bleepingcomputer chatroom). ok here is what i did:

1.started my pc

2.chose microsoft windows as the OS (options were MS windows XP and MS windows), i am not sure if this is the usual case when you get into this sort of trouble

3. this then took me straight to a DOS prompt

4. then i opened boot.ini file using edit.com

c:\windows\system32\edit.com c:\boot.ini (verify path for your OS)

5. this file had a switch "/safeboot:minimal"

which was telling the system to boot in safe mode

6. i removed this entry from the boot.ini file

7. saved the file and exited out

8. rebooted the machine, and there we go, i was able to boot using "start windows normally"

So, the problem was the conflict between the boot.ini file and whatever "virus" was preventing it from execute properly. Boot.ini file was trying to boot the system in safe mode and an alien program was stopping it from doing so.

now i need to clean up my machine before i attempt to boot in safe mode again.
THNKS TO STITCH ONCE AGAIN :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users