Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 awill110

awill110

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:00 PM

I have a computer that I am working on that will not boot. When you press the power button, the computer never turns on the monitor and never sends any sort of picture to the monitor. The monitor knows that the computer is there because I unplug the monitor and I get the cable disconnected window that moves around on the screen. Also, on the Dell monitor that I am using, the light near the power button blinks like it does when it is waiting on the computer.

I took the hard drive out and connected it to another computer without any problems. I was able to access everything on it and was able to run a chkdsk and scan it for viruses. I tried unplugging the computer and taking the battery out of the motherboard for a period of time so that it might reset the bios (I don't know if this actually does anything) and that did not affect it at all.

I am told that the machine, before this current state, would boot but not get to the login screen. There would be a blue screen and the mouse pointer, but no other progress. It has since gotten worse. I have tried putting the Windows disk into the drive so it might boot from the CD, but there still is nothing that shows on the monitor that tells me it is even trying.

The machine is a Dell Dimension 4600 running a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:15 PM

Well...the only thing you've seemingly eliminated from consideration (hardware-wise) is the hard drive.

Several of the other system components could be at the root of the problem...starting with the power supply (that's where I would start). Try a different power supply temporarily (loosely tighten the screws) and see if it comes to life.

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:22 PM

Any beeps when you power it up?

One short beep is usually good.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 awill110

awill110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:04 PM

With the current power supply there were no beeps. I installed another power supply that has the same power rating and it started right up.

There appears to be a problem with the on-board video as well because I put in a video card and the video problem that I was having worked itself out. The system was stalling while the bios was loading. It would stall before ever getting to Windows. It appears that everything is working properly now however.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users