Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer will not start.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rodney h

rodney h

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:27 PM

Hello to all: Yesterday I up dated my mcavee secuity suit for Comcast customers and it needed to restart the computer to take affect. When the computer restarted it run through the HP screen and would restart and restart. I tried to unplug the computer but that didn't work so I held the Off/on button in until the computer shut down. The problem now is the computer will not start at all now. Called mcavee and they knew nothing. I don't think it is hardware but I don't know. If anyone has any advice it would be very appreciated . Thank you. Rodney

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

I have Comcast also and they offer the McAfee suite and I tried it and disabled and then uninstalled all things McAfee after a little investigating of why my system was running so slow.

Don't count on McAfee for help with performance issues! Just disable all their stuff for a while and see how it goes, you can turn it back on or reinstall it later for free if you want.

I do have other software for protection from malicious software, but I will not use McAfee - too slow, long updates, always doing "something" and it never found or fixed a darn thing (ever) that other softwares pick up.

Right now, I like the free ones I can run when I feel like it and although there is no real time protection, that is okay for me, and may not be okay for everybody.

Currently, I just use these two regularly and the built in Windows firewall:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

If you try them, update after downloading and these can be uninstalled later if desired.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users