Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I remove a second operating system?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kg305

kg305

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

(I'm not completely sure if this is under the right forum or not, but I'm just going to continue to post it.)

Okay, so the problem I'm facing is basically this:

I wanted to try out a different OS on my computer so I downloaded Ubuntu and proceeded
to burn it onto a CD (for the LIVE CD). After doing that, I went ahead and installed the
OS onto my hard drive. Well, it seems something went wrong during my installation
and my password for Ubuntu wasn't correct (although I'm almost positive I entered
all my information in correctly). In any case, seeing as it doesn't let me on, I figured
I'd just uninstall it and try it again another day.

However, I'm not too sure how exactly I go about doing that. All I do know is that
I'm supposed to edit the BOOT.INI file. What I've done so far is open the file by going
to My Computer > System Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Edit.
I then went ahead and created a backup. From this point on, I'm completely lost.
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to the BOOT file that removes Ubuntu.

Here's what the file contains:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\wubildr.mbr = "Ubuntu"

An explanation on what to do would be highly appreciated.
Please and thank you.

-kg305

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

Hi kg305, welcome to BleepingComputer :thumbsup:

It seems that you have installed Ubuntu through WUBI. The steps for uninstalling this kind of of Ubuntu installation are :

Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. You will find someting like Wubi or Ubuntu listed. Select it by clicking on it and choose Remove. This would remove Ubuntu files from your computer.

Wubi/Ubuntu leaves boot.ini entry unremoved. You have to remove t manually. Here is how :
Open Start Menu > Run, type cmd and Enter. Then type in the command prompt window the following, pressing Enter after each line :
cd \
attrib -s -h -r boot.ini
notepad boot.ini
This would open boot.ini in Notepad. Remove the last line that reads C:\wubildr.mbr = "Ubuntu". Save the file by pressing Ctrl-S and close Notepad. Now, back to command-prompt again, type this line pressing Enter after it.
attrib +s +h +r boot.ini
Close the command prompt window and you are done.

#3 kg305

kg305
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:23 PM

Thank you :D !
It worked! I appreciate the help a lot.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29