Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RagDoll

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 The Guardian

The Guardian

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:59 PM

I Love Ragdoll I think every game should have it. I Think it's hilarious :thumbsup: to watch a body get drilled into a wall or slamed into whatever... :flowers:
Do you think all games should have RagDoll?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:41 PM

I Love Ragdoll I think every game should have it. I Think it's hilarious  :thumbsup:  to watch a body get drilled into a wall or slamed into whatever... :flowers:
Do you think all games should have RagDoll?

You mean the physics of a game? If so, yes, ragdoll physics are freakin awesome. I think the Havoc (or is it Havok...) physics engine accomplishes the effects the best. Psy-Ops is a great example of how to impliment (sp?) it properly.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 24 July 2005 - 08:44 PM.

#3 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:44 AM

rag doll physics roxz0r to the maxz0r!!! i love it when i'm playing MP2, god mode with unlimited ammo. drill those thugs into walls one after the other. ITS FUN U HAVE TO TRY IT!!

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:38 PM

Whats MP2? console game?

I am starting play HL2 again (loving it) and I am pretty sure they use RD physics. Love sniping a combine on a tower and watching him slump over the rail

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:13 PM

MP2 = Max Payne 2 available for PC, XBOX, and PS2. idont know about GC cuz it died years ago when it was a prototype.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:49 PM

a short and sweet guide to rag doll physics:

(me coming with gun-->) |- (klak klak klak) | (<--bad guy) |- >, |- /, |- || (<--bad guy getting drilled into wall), |- /|, |- _| (<--bad guy dead on floor)

- Rick Cook

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:56 PM

LOL .. nice use of the various line keys :thumbsup:

#8 The Guardian

The Guardian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:44 PM

I've seen HL2's RagDoll, it's Awesome :thumbsup:, i would be playing it right now if i had a good enough Graphics Card, RAM, Ghz etc...

Posted Image

#9 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:43 AM

ragdoll rulez its pretty good on CS:S but does anyone think they should put it into halo that would be really good

what was the first game that used ragdoll? cus as far as i know it was hitman but imk probably wrong
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#10 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:29 PM

Hmmmm, that's a tough one. The first one i can remember PLAYING with ragdoll physics was Psy-Ops (one of the best uses i've seen, btw), but i'm pretty sure the Hitman series had it before Psy-ops.... Oh, and there was a multi-player online game that had it fairly early..... i just can't remember the name.... GAH!!!

#11 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:14 PM

Um, I've been reading this post for a bit, but I don't know what Rag Doll is. I've gathered that it's a physics engine that is either realistic or cool..

What is it? (I've never played the above mentioned games)

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#12 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:34 PM

Um, I've been reading this post for a bit, but I don't know what Rag Doll is. I've gathered that it's a physics engine that is either realistic or cool..

What is it? (I've never played the above mentioned games)

It's a phsyics system that allows human bodies (and other objects) to be manipulated as if they were real. If you explode an object near an enemy, they will go flying into the air and their limbs will flail realistically.

Imagine that you had telekinetic powers (a-la Psy-Ops). You're creeping down a catwalk when an enemy guard steps out in front of you. You pick him up with your mind and hurl him at the railing. He hits the rail at his mid-section. His legs try to go under the rail while his torso bends over it, sending his arms skyward, still attached to his torso. As his top half crumples over the rail, his legs are pulled back around the rail, clearly showing broken bones with the flailing motion. He falls to the ground below, realistically bouncing off the concrete.

In other words, there's no real definitive death animations. The limbs and body act extremely realistically, bouncing and flailing. Psy-Ops is an awesome example of this, as well as Half-Life 2. Download some vids of them if you're curious. It's kinda hard to explain in words...

#13 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:49 PM

Thanks. That's really cool. All games really should have that!

Does Far Cry have this? I played up until the monsters showed up (I scare easily) but I can't remember blowing anyone up.

#14 The Guardian

The Guardian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:50 PM

ragdoll rulez its pretty good on CS:S but does anyone think they should put it into halo that would be really good

Halo 2 does have RagDoll but you have to do certain things to get it to work if you want i can tell you how.

Posted Image

#15 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:31 PM

Hmm...the Halo 2 RagDoll seems to cause dead body spasms from time to time. Kinda funny, but makes you wonder if they'll get back up...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users