Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Page file and virtual memory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 daytonasteve

daytonasteve

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:37 PM

Hope this is the correct forum. I'm running XP Pro with 1.5 GiG ram. I have my page file set at 3000. With 1.5 of ram I would expect the page file to rarely be tapped, especially for just word docs and e-mail however using the task manager performance feature, I see that I am using a constant 315MB of Page File. Just a straight line across, even when the CPU graph is moving.

Is this the way it is supposed to work, perhaps processes that run only in virtual memory. I have no applications running other than IE and I still have between 285 and 315MB of consumption.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:28 PM

Task Manager does not show the true Pagefile size being used at the current time. It shows the total memory that can be commited to pagefile in case it comes to using the pagefile. Even if you disable pagefile in the system settings, Task Manager would continue to show the PF usage.

More information : http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-...11-5071997.html

#3 daytonasteve

daytonasteve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

Thank you , this information was very helpful. Unfortunatley the Page File Logger tool isn't available anymore but still this info was great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users