Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal Hard Drive Installation for Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CPSmurf

CPSmurf

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

I was unable to access my old hard drive on my Dell Dimension 9100 which is 3 or 4 years old. It kept running chkdsk and I was not able to get a logon screen. You can read up on another topic as to what those issues were, however, I decided that the disk was probably bad and got a new WD 1TB drive and loaded it into the main bay, formatted it, and loaded Windows XP on it.

Now I want to try to access the old drive to see if I can recover files. I've placed it in the second bay and connected the power, and have plugged the data line in and connected it to the slot below the first drive. However, I am even uncertain if this is even the correct slot. There are four slots, in a "square" and the main drive is in the upper right slot -- it is blue -- and I have plugged the secondary data drive into all the other slots -- which are black -- and still the drive is not recognized. I do know that the drive is getting power, because I have switched the power cable between the two drives.

I've tried using the Windows "Add Hardware Wizard" but that doesn't seem to find anything.

Thanks for your help with my problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:33 PM

Are the hard drive jumpers set properly?

If you have the hard drive on the same cable as another device...then both devices must reflect either...a Master/Slave setup or a Cable Select jumper setting for both drives.

Does the BIOS see both drives?

Does Disk Management see both?

Louis

#3 CPSmurf

CPSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:27 PM

BIOS! That was the solution. I kept trying to find the drive through Windows. I went into set-up and turned all the drives on and then saved and exited. Upon boot-up, a chkdsk was run on the F drive because Windows had determined it wasn't "consistent". After it completed (it found no issues) Windows booted up as normal. Now, I had thought about the master/slave issue, but couldn't figure out where that might be, as there aren't any swtiches on either hard drive.
I'm able to access the new F: drive, and can transfer files. However, it still checks the drive because it is not 'consistent'. I don't have time to deal with that right now, but when I do, I'll probably be looking for answers here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users