Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Boots Into Blank Black Screen Only - No OS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ocktahedron

ocktahedron

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

Hello everyone. Thanks in advance for reading my post.

When I turn on my computer it boots up to a blank black screen with only the mouse pointer arrow showing.

A little history.....
Yesterday I purchased a DVD writer and installed it and it worked just fine. Today I ran spybot SD update and then ran the immunize feature which also seemed to work fine. At the same time I was updating itunes to Version 9.0 when I got a small windows error. I don't know exactly what it said because I didn't have time to read it but it had something about win32 and that it was malicious software and would shut down windows.

I've tried to boot up with my last known configuration that worked. I've tried safe mode, safe mode with networking. None of these do anything different. All I get is the blank black screen with the white windows mouse cursor (which I can move about the screen). Which does me no good ;) Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much. I have AVG on my computer but didn't run it last night - unfortunately :thumbsup: I was in the middle of downloading some music and when it started the automatic system scan I stopped it (dummy) so that it wouldn't slow down my download. Wish I hadn't did that.

Thanks,

Amil Singh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

Take a look...Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503.

The blinking cursor on black screen typically illustrates a MBR problem which is correctable by running the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console.

Louis

#3 ocktahedron

ocktahedron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:30 PM

Hi Hamluis,

Well I don't have the blinking cursor. What I have is a black screen with a mouse arrow cursor that I can move about the page. When I open in Safe mode I have the safe mode words in all 4 corners of the screen and the windows svc pack information at the top. So what I'm missing is my desktop screen/information/icons/etc. The computer boots up normally until the point after the windows xp logo appears and then I don't get my screen where I choose guest, administrator log in.

Edited by ocktahedron, 18 September 2009 - 04:32 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

Worth a look, http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum...-after-log.html.

Louis

#5 ocktahedron

ocktahedron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:34 AM

The interesting thing I read in that link was that the user was able to do a CTRL ALT DEL and pull up the task mgr. I wasn't able to do that but maybe the reason is because I am using a wireless keyboard. That would seem logical. I guess I need to get my hands on a keyboard that plugs in.

My other problem: I don't have a windows xp cd :thumbsup: How can I get one? Can I create one by downloading from the internet?

Thanks.

Edited by ocktahedron, 19 September 2009 - 11:09 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

FWIW: For anyone who doesn't have the proper XP CD...I suggest that such persons either ask someone with the proper version...to burn a copy...or try to borrow one (and make a copy of it) for any future use.

Note that such CD will be worthless without a valid license for same version.

The illegal copies of XP which may be obtained via torrents, etc...probably (IMO) are laced with malware items. From my perspective, it's the perfect way to infect large numbers of systems...since the persons who download use such...have no legal recourse for assistance and cannot complain about the fact that their systems are infected/compromised.

Louis

#7 ocktahedron

ocktahedron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

I do have a legal copy of windows. I just don't have the CD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users