Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot dectect wireless controller....

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nycist

Nycist

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:18 PM

Im trying to re-activate my wireless device in my laptop. I have reinstalled the drivers for my wireless hardware correctly(or so i think obviously) and I still cant find the hardware in device manager. This is puzzling me. Any help is appreciated.

I am working on a Gateway 4026GZ Laptop. Windows XP SP3 OS.
My wireless device is Gemtek WMIB-114G.

I downloaded this driver as i believed it was the right one:

(supposedly broadcom=gemtek? i came to this conclusion after some long hard searching)
BCM40100.exe - Broadcom Wireless Driver Version 4.100.15.5
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...on%204.100.15.5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

What is listed under Network adapter? Is there any yellow ! in the list? Are there any unknown devices?

Have you run an ipconfig /all to see if it is listed?

Edited by CaveDweller2, 18 September 2009 - 03:57 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Nycist

Nycist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

There are no unknown devices listed under "Network Adapter" in device manager.

After i ran "ipconfig/all" the only device that showed up in the command prompt was the Realtek Ethernet card.

Edited by Nycist, 18 September 2009 - 07:47 PM.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:15 PM

While I do`t think this will help. Have you tried the Fn+F2 key combination?

Since it is not showing at all in Device manager I do not think this is the solution but won`t hurt to try it.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

You said re-activate wireless...I assume from that statement that it has worked in the past?

Look in Device Manager's list...see if its under something else. It should be under Network adapter and I can't understand why it would be anywhere else but..lol it has to be somewhere.

The only other thing I can say is uninstall all software that has to do with your wireless, reboot and see if Windows picks it up. if not go back to Device manager -> right click the computer name at the top and scan for Hardware changes see if it can pick it up.

If that doesn't work. turn off the laptop and unplug it. Turn it over -> there is a cover right above the white label take the screw out and lift the cover. I think that is where the wireless card is installed. I could be wrong tho lol

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

Your close CaveDweller2.

There are probably 2 covers, maybe 3. One is for memory and probably labeled with an M. The second is probably to the rear in a corner, may have vents and is a cooling fan. The third may be labeled with a C. This is where the wireless card might be.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:34 PM

This is a pic of the bottom of the Laptop. the one I think its under is the only one that isn't specifically labeled as something

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:43 PM

F it is, or should be. Mini PCI bay

#9 Nycist

Nycist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

ThunderZ: I have tried the Fn+F2 combination many times.

CaveDweller2: It did work in the past. I have no idea what my buddy did to his computer.

#10 Nycist

Nycist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:03 PM

edit*
I just chucked under panel "f" and located the wireless card. It was slightly dislodged from its socket! My buddy must have dropped this thing pretty hard to do that. Its held firmly in place by two clips+ the slot is very snug.

I just rebooted the computer and the computer immediately recognized the card. Thank you for your help CaveDweller2, Thunderz. Again the support I receive on BC is better than the manufacturer!

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:06 PM

CD2 nailed it. I just helped pin-point where to dig. :thumbsup:

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:15 PM

woot...glad it was something silly =)

#13 mae1541

mae1541

• Banned
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

There are probably 2 covers, maybe 3. One is for memory and probably labeled with an M. The second is probably to the rear in a corner, may have vents and is a cooling fan. The third may be labeled with a C. This is where the wireless card might be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users