Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hammerhead

hammerhead

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 04:57 PM

Hello world. Suddenly I can't connect to the internet on my laptop and was hoping that someone may have a solution. The os is 98 se. I tried connecting by three methods, dial-up, wireless phone, and wireless router. I use the wireless router at home and the wireless phone at work. For troubleshooting purposes I tried the dial-up. The wireless phone and dial-up seem to connect, but then nothing. The wireless network setup just replies can not find server. Hope you don't mind helping someone who knows very little about computers. Thanks.

Stan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:43 PM

What version of windows are you using?

#3 Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:19 PM

What version of windows are you using?

grin... see orig posting (98 se).

hammer... you say "The wireless phone and dial-up seem to connect, but then nothing." what do you mean "then nothing"??

Does you wireless network connect via a home or commercial router?

To check for a valid IP adrress... Goto to DOS (click START>RUN>enter command at open box).. enter winipcfg at the c:\.... prompt in the black window. Select your corresponding adapter and note (OR POST) the info at the IP Address & Default Gateway addr. Click More Info and note (OR POST) theDNS & DHCP server valuies. Also notethe proxy server setting is not checked.

P2E

#4 hammerhead

hammerhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:45 PM

I am using 98 se

#5 hammerhead

hammerhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:48 PM

when i use the wireless phone, it appears connected by the screen on the phone. the screen is the same when working properly, but i get the can not find server message here also.

#6 Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:45 AM

when i use the wireless phone, it appears connected by the screen on the phone. the screen is the same when working properly, but i get the can not find server message here also.

Hammer,

What does your wireless phone have to do with your internet connection? Are you trying to connect via dialup?? If so, why the router? If you are using a conventional residential style router - what wireless router are you using??

Once again, from your earlier post - what did you mean by "then nothing"?? From my earlier post - did you getting a valid IP address??

Sounds like you talking about about apples, oranges and bananas. You mention standard dialup, cellular and wireless router (dsl, cable, satellite, ?) connection...

To help us, help you - I suggest you be more concise. Make sure your original problem stmt & what you are posting is clearly understandable. Also, read thru the replys. If you need further clarification or don't understand - ask - you are likely not alone with your Q's..

P2E

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:49 AM

The more information, as detailed and minute as it may appear to be, is really the saving grace in trying to figure out problems like this. Let us know if you are receiving an ip address as given by the steps 4 posts above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users