Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Not Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 awill110

awill110

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:08 AM

I have a laptop that I am working on that will not open webpages or download updates. It is a Dell XPS M140 that is running Windows XP w/ SP3 and the program that manages the wireless networks is Intel PROSet/Wireless.

According to the Intel program I am connected to the wireless network. I tried re-entering all of the information (WEP, encryption, etc.) to make sure that the settings it has for the network are correct. It tells me that I am connected and have a full signal. When I open IE or Firefox, it will not open any webpages. I get the "cannot display the webpage" error that typically comes when you are not connected to a network. I have tried disabling and then enabling the connection. I have tried disabling the radio and then enabling it.

I have tried disabling the wireless connection and then connecting to my network through an ethernet cable and that gives me the same problems. I have set-up the required IP settings and everything seems to be correct. I even double checked the settings with another computer and that computer connected without problems. The computer tells me that the connection is working and that it is connected, but I still cannot open any webpages.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

Is there a reason why you are configuring the IP settings manually? I'm wondering if there may be a problem related to that. Maybe you can go back into the settings and enable DHCP to let the settings be configured auto and see if that works?
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#3 awill110

awill110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:45 PM

The network is set up so that I must configure the IP addresses manually. This was done for security reasons as it is located at my work. I am confident that the settings are correct.

#4 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

Okay then, moving on. Are you on a domain? I ask that because I'm wondering if it's a firewall issue and that maybe your firewall settings (or some other network settings) are governed by group policy.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#5 awill110

awill110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:01 PM

I am on a domain. I have been able to access the network through this laptop with no problems previously (a few months ago last time I tried). The user of this laptop has the same problem at his house which is not on a domain and does not have a firewall.

I ran a scan for malware and came up empty, so that is ruled out.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:18 PM

IMO...the fact that you cannot achieve a functional wired or wireless connection...points to the possibility of onboard hardware failure.

I would try removing all NIC drivers...then reinstalling same...then setting up the connection, using the New Connection Wizard in XP.

I would forget about connecting to the network initially...and just try a simple home ISP network connection first. This ought to provide a strong clue as to whether the hardware is indeed working properly.

Louis

#7 awill110

awill110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

I uninstalled all of the network drivers and restarted the computer. When it restarted, Windows automaticall installed new drivers for the devices. I tried to get on and it still didn't work. I am not even getting the DNS error message any more. It doesn't look like Firefox nor IE are trying to connect. I did a fresh install of Firefox to see if there was something corrupted from a previous virus or something and no luck.

I ran a ping to www.yahoo.com through the command line interface and all 4 packets sent were received with an average time of 72ms.

Would it be worth running a Hijack This log and seeing if any one notices something out of whack? I am hesitant to think that it is a hardware problem because Windows detected it, reinstalled the drivers and connected to the network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users