Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turn off computer not responding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kunal Shah

Kunal Shah

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:49 AM

After clicking turn off computer from the start menu the turn off window does not appear instead the mouse pointer remains as if in use.

Also the screen freezes but the processes are still running as seen in the task manager.
If i want to shutdown then i have to select shutdown --> turn off from task manager.
If i want to get back in normal mode i have to end the explorer.exe from task manager.

There is no problem at the startup though. The turn off window appears if i click it after the startup and runs fine for sometime.
After using the pc for sometime turn off doesnt respond.

Any help would be appreciated !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:33 AM

Worth a look, IMO: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q307274.

Louis

#3 Kunal Shah

Kunal Shah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:18 AM

I have read the article.

Well the symptoms arent exact !

The symptoms explained on the microsoft site are:
When you shut down your Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, Windows may intermittently stop responding (hang), and you receive the following message:
Saving your settings.
During this time, you may be able to move the pointer, but the computer may not respond when you press CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Whereas i do not recieve any message and computer does respond when i press CTRL+ALT+DEL.

The causes explained on the microsoft site are:
* You have East Asian Language support installed on your Windows XP-based computer and the Input Method Editor (IME) selected as your default input language.
* You have the Welcome screen turned on.

East Asian language support is installed on the computer but i dont know about Input Method Editor.
Also welcome screen is turned off(i think) since i have set autologon.

The turn off problem is there since 10-15 days, it wasnt before.
The article eventually tells to install XP SP3.

So what do you recommend?
Can there be any problems during/after installation of SP3 over SP2 ?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

I can't recommend anything, since I've never had this problem/situation.

But the fact is...if you cannot construe MS guidance on issues that indicate possible...repair efforts...if you cannot believe that this is the best info available, then it's probably best not to use Windows at all, since it's a Microsoft product. That's the way that I look at using any product, computer systems included.

<>

Of course there can be...a computer system is a highly sophisticated thing which most of us don't understand, but accept certain basic principles about how to use it, etc. Things go wrong with systems every day, just as things go wrong with any thing else that might be considered material (including you and I).

If you mean..."can problems be expected as the result of installing SP3"...I have to answer that there are countless numbers who have installed SP3 and subsequent security/critical updates with no problems arising from such install.

Perhaps you need to read and make your decision:

Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/

HP Instructions for SP3 - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c01452495

AumHa Forums Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Installation Guide - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33296

Louis

#5 Kunal Shah

Kunal Shah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:01 AM

I read some of the links u gave, and i thought it would be foolish to upgrade to SP3 for such a small problem.

So i have made a one-click shortcut to shutdown the computer and put it in the start menu.
Hence i dont have to bother whether turn off window is responding or not !

Thanks for your guidance.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:31 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

FWIW: The primary rationale for installing SP3...is not to solve problems for users. SP3 is issued as a critical update for system security purposes...as are all critical updates (IMO).

Edited by hamluis, 20 September 2009 - 08:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users