Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.cpl file associations

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 KenWA

KenWA

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:00 AM

I am in the midst of a clean re-install of Windows Xp Pro SP3. I have been making intermittent backups along the way (Acronis). I installed the peripherals and set my default printer & continued installing apps. After 2 days I noticed that my default printer had changed and went to Settings/Printers and Faxes to check this only to get this message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Option Control Panel."

The computer then locked up and had to be rebooted.

I have tried all the usual tricks like Rebooting and then Rebooting into Last Known Good Configuration with no effect. In fact the same message came up when running in Safe Mode. I restored back to a Backup made earlier but the error persists. I do not know when this error occurred. Everything else is working perfectly. Settings/Control Panel and Settings/Taskbar and Start Menu are unchanged. It is just Printers. Control Panel/Printers also works.
I have managed a workaround by customizing the Start Menu to Expand Printers but the fault remains.

I applied a fix from Doug Knox but this did not help. Neither did running SFC.

Something is wrong somewhere, Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users