Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow laptop and I just can't figure it out

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 labra44

labra44

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

OK, I have used this site to fix many many problems, I usually just search and find what I need from someone else who has the same problem. This time I cannot even begin to search because I don't know what is happening.

This is my Mother's laptop, relatively new install of windows, the only thing she does is play games online (poker etc) and I know these things have malware like crazy but she has AVG and it finds nothing wrong. I did the "have a slow computer" tutorial and it did nothing, defragged etc. No help at all. It takes forever to startup, then once at the main desktop, anything you click doesn't respond to the click for a bout a minute at least, then the hourglass... I have noticed that if it's an internet application (IE) I will find DRWTSN32.exe running. I have read a bit about it on this site and it seems like it's a part of windows. Well, when IE hangs up, if I stop DRWTSN32.exe then it "releases" the snag, whatever the computer is hung up on. Moments later it's back. Sometimes it will go online and if it does, even simple sites like google take about 5 min to load, and again, if I stop drwtsn32.exe they immediately load again. Everything I click, it comes back and freezes up everything.

Now, I have tried to install REGCURE and MALWAREBYTES and neither of them will install. Malwarebytes says "error code C0000006" and Regcure says that the volume is damaged, which it's not.

upon request I will post a HJT log...

Please, I'm gonna break this laptop if I don't fix it soon...

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 labra44

labra44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:57 PM

sorry, windows XP home edition
512+256 RAM
2+ GB processor

And I also switched out the RAM up to 1GB+256MB and it did no good at all so I went back to the original.

Edited by labra44, 17 September 2009 - 11:16 PM.

#3 dwighthe

dwighthe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:57 PM

labra44

I'm going to take a flyer here. I just had a similar problem with my wife's Acer laptop. It's several years old and the battery does not hold a charge. I finally took out the battery and ran the computer on the power card. The problem went away. We've been using the computer for a couple of weeks with no problem.

Turn off the computer and unplug the power cord before you remove the battery.

Dwight

#4 labra44

labra44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:23 AM

I took the battery out and it's rebooting. very slowly, but it's rebooting.

I will try the ad-aware next but I'm thinking it will give me an error when I try to install it

#5 labra44

labra44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:59 AM

external exception C0000006 when trying to install ad-aware

"runtime error in setup script:

Line 276: System Error. Code: 1400.

Invalid window handle"

Also, just so you know, the PC never runs above 10% usage when task manager is up

#6 labra44

labra44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:27 PM

ALso I was using safe mode when I tried to install ad-aware. Anyone have any clues? SHould I post a Hijackthis log?

#7 skambale

skambale

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:31 PM

When Windows boot up go to Start -- Run -- msconfig

Post the screenshots of the General and Startup

You may be having too many processes running in the background and way TOOO many things loading on boot up.
What i usually do as soon as I get a new PC is to go to msconfig, say manual loading and remove all the crap from the Startup tab.

Also, post screenshots of the task manager processes

#8 labra44

labra44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:20 PM

When Windows boot up go to Start -- Run -- msconfig

Post the screenshots of the General and Startup

You may be having too many processes running in the background and way TOOO many things loading on boot up.
What i usually do as soon as I get a new PC is to go to msconfig, say manual loading and remove all the crap from the Startup tab.

Also, post screenshots of the task manager processes

Thanks, She has since taken the laptop to the person she bought it from to have him re-install windows... I told her "what the hell? I coulda done that!" But whatever, I guess we will never know.

BTW, I had already done msconfig and i stopped anything i knew was unnecessary. Plus when using task manager, the pc would only show about 5-10% usage so it wasn't lagging on processes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users