Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD drive question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cheesezilla

Cheesezilla

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

So a little while ago i couldn't figure why my computer wouldn't register my CD/DVD drive and old IDE HDD.

I was messing around in the dell work station. Its kinda like a dumbed down version or BIOS (i think).

I navigated to the "Drives" tab and decided to turn every one "on" and reboot my computer.

And for some odd reason, both the CD/DVD drive booted up and the HDD booted up. Or they were registered atleast.

Then i did a little process of elimination and came to the conclusion that i needed to have the "Pata drive (Slave 1 and 2) turned on in order for the drives to be registered.

I now have to hit the F1 key every time my computer turns on. So i can't just turn it on and walk away. ( yeah, i know thats lazy)

I have never run across a case like this before. Could this have something to do with jumper setting?

Also, the IDE HDD is taken out from an external case. So it doesn't have any Jumper covers ( or the things that cover the pins) Can you use any "cover" from any HDD that has jumper settings?

Thanks for reading!
Have a great day! :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:10 PM

Yes a jumper is a jumper, you can use one from another drive. If you continually have to re-enter the bios information, your cmos battery is probably dead and needs replaced. Its a Watch battery about the size of a quarter located on the motherboard of the computer.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users