Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bestof

bestof

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:12 PM

I was looking for a good internal hard drive to store all of my games and movies on and was wondering if the Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA Internal Hard Drive for $85 was any good. The link is here, I'll be buying from another store for a cheaper price though.

Edited by bestof, 17 September 2009 - 09:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:17 PM

Western Digital make good reliable drives. I haven't much trouble with them.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:16 AM

I would do a little research prior to buying. I prefer WD drives myself. But have read that they, as well as Seagate are having trouble with firmware on some of their models.

#4 bestof

bestof
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:20 PM

I know WT is a good brand of hdd, but this one can put in any pc? I don't think so.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:12 PM

It does need a SATA interface on the mobo. Says so right in the name of the drive.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:06 PM

As you have already mentioned there is a big difference between IDE and SATA. Most older computers and some newer computers still have IDE ports even if they are not being used. If a SATA port is available it should be utilized since its faster. There are 3 types of SATA: SATA I, SATA II, And SATA 6. The latter won't be seen much since only the fastest Solid state disk's are capable of using this speed efficiently. SATA I and SATA II are backwards and forwards compatible meaning a SATA I drive will operate on a M/B having SATA I or SATA II but it will operate at the slower speed. There is a hitch though with a few select motherboards "motherboard host controllers using the VIA and SIS chipsets VT8237, VT8237R, VT6420, VT6421L, SIS760, SIS964 found on the ECS 755-A2 manufactured in 2003, do not support SATA 3 Gbit/s drives. Additionally, these host controllers do not support SATA 3 Gbit/s optical disc drives."

Credit: Wikipedia
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

Well, ANY SATA hard drive will fit in ANY computer as long as their motherboard is under 3 years old and the computer is designed with SATA interfaces.. And honestly, for $85, that is a huge steal. Just make sure your computer's motherboard has SATA interfaces and your pretty much good to go.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

Yea but if I buy a SATA II drive and expect the performance gain of the series II and only have a Series I mother board I will be disappointed.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users