Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pentium vs centrino

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tett

tett

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:22 PM

whats the differance between a pentium and a centrino processor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:36 PM

centrino is for laptops and notebooks (obviously they are the same thing but i like saying both :thumbsup:)

pentium is ofcourse for desktops

hope i helped

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:05 PM

Actually, I've heard that the only way to notice the difference is if you are doing scientific calculations. I also heard that you can't upgrade something with a Centrino, but you can with a Pentium (not sure on either of these).

I know Pentiums are not desktop exclusive becuase my family owns 2 Toshiba laptops, one with a P1 and one with a P4. I know a friend who has a centrino desktop as well.

I know Centrinos are much more common in laptops, and I think they might do mobile functions better (less power drain, better networking or something...maybe).

EDIT: Oops... see correction below...

Edited by Lanscader, 25 July 2005 - 04:05 PM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:37 AM

Centrino is not a processor.
What is Centrino?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:04 AM

Hmm...I guess that explains why they always say "Centrino mobile technology" in the commercials, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Centrino processors for sale at my local computer store. Maybe they were M's with a more familiar name. I'll have to look into that...

EDIT: Oops... see correction below...

Edited by Lanscader, 25 July 2005 - 04:06 PM.

#6 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:05 PM

Whoops! I got "Centrino" confused with "Celeron"! :thumbsup: So, whatever I said previously about Centrino....is really about Celeron.

Edited by Lanscader, 25 July 2005 - 04:06 PM.

#7 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:19 PM

was gonna say centrino is used for wireless networks n things like that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users