Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD not being recognized By the computer!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:17 PM

I recently reformatted a friends hard drive for them. They have an Inspiron 531s with Windows Vista. Ever since it has been reformatted the CD/DVD drive is not working. When I double click on the drive after putting a disk in it says to reinsert the disk. I tried to uninstall the driver and let the computer find another driver. Unfortunately this did not work and it just found the same driver. It is a TSST Corp DVD-+RW TS-H653B SCSI CD ROM Device. Under my computer it is listed as the E drive, and says CD Drive. Shouldn't it say DVD drive. Is this DVD drive a Toshiba. Could I get another driver from their website and try it. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:23 PM

I was reading up on my problem and found this solution from Microsoft: Is this worth trying? (Read Below)

Microsoft Windows Vista
Click Start, and then click All Programs.
Click Accessories, and then click Run.
Type regedit, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:53 PM

Sure, it's quite common.

Upper & Lower Filters - http://delltrain.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/...d-lower-filter/

Upper & Lower Filters - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529

Upper and Lower Filters. CD-ROM 314060 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2009 - 07:53 PM.

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:33 PM

Thanks Louis! I will give it a try and report back. Craig

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:05 AM

Louis,

I went ahead and looked for the upper and lower filters in the registry, but unfortunately both of them are missing. I checked on another Vista machine and I saw them both there. What's our next step? On the dell website I don't see the driver for the TS corp DVD/CD RW. Just a bunch of firmware updates. We tried to uninstall and let the computer find another driver, but had no luck. I don't see why this has happened and what is the connection to reformatting the hard drive as we did recently. Please help.

#6 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:45 PM

I wanted to add a few more things: When the CD goes in there is no sound coming from the drive like there normally is. The computer has so many removable drives that it gets confusing. there is C drive, E, F, I, K as removable and the DVD drive is J. Shouldn't the DVD drive be closer in letter to the C Drive. Ideas appreciated.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,235 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:11 PM

My approach is always to simplify.

That means that...if I think I have a hard drive problem, I disconnect every other drive but the one I believe has problems.

I don't use flash drives on my systems (no need, I have excess hard drives)...so I suggest that you start by removing each/all of those.

Then I would suggest doing a recovery/restore of the system hard drive. Ordinarily, I would say do a repair install of XP, but I don't know if that's possible with that system, using recovery/restore disks. The only two drives attached at this time should be the 1 optical and the 1 system drive.

Then I would add drives back, one by one...assuming that the optical drive is now properly recognized.

The fact that the optical drive is not at D:...is probably the reason that the upper and lower filters entries are missing, IMO.

Louis

#8 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:39 PM

Louis,

Thanks so much for staying with me on this topic! I just want to make sure I understand what your trying to get me to do next. If there is any way I would not have to reinstall the O/S as that was just done recently. I agree that all those removable drives being before the Cd drive (J) is a problem. The computer is running Vista. Is it worth doing a Vista repair, I don't think this fixes much (The XP repair is much better). Are you saying to uninstall the Drivers for all the removable media's. Do I do this through the device manager or uninstall through my computer. What's the plan after that? If the removable's are uninstalled and so is the CD Drive, then will the computer recognize the CD/DVD Drive as letter E. When I restart after uninstalling the drivers, will the computer allocate the CD Drive with a letter before the Removable's. Won't the computer add back all the drivers once it is restarted. I am a little unsure of the exact steps you want me to try. Could you write back again and clarify exactly what you mean. I really appreciate it as I am very keen to get this problem solved. Thanks.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,235 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:48 AM

I can't tell you what to do :thumbsup:, I can only tell you what I would do...based on what you have stated thus far in your post...if that system was in my hands.

I have never used Vista...so I don't know if a Vista system is so very different from an XP system in dealing with problems.

<<Is it worth doing a Vista repair, I don't think this fixes much (The XP repair is much better).>>

When I suspect that system files are damaged/missing...I normally do a repair install. ?Although running sfc /scannow should accomplish the same thing, I prefer a repair install.

When Windows is not functioning as it should and I have done all that I can (chkdsk, defrag, edit, etc.) to overcome this...I do a repair install and hope that I won't have to do a clean install.

<<Are you saying to uninstall the Drivers for all the removable media's. Do I do this through the device manager or uninstall through my computer.>>

The proper way to remove any hardware device is via Device Manager. Yes, I would remove any/all hardware drives which do not contain the system partition and which are not the optical drive I need to use the XP install CD. AFAIK, you cannot uninstall anything via My Computer.

<<What's the plan after that?>>

By "that"...I assume that you are referring to your previous line. My plan after that is to do a repair install.

<<If the removable's are uninstalled and so is the CD Drive,>>

Who said anything about uninstalling the CD drive? The optical drive is not a flash/external/temporary drive installed on the system.

<<...then will the computer recognize the CD/DVD Drive as letter E.>>

The computer/Windows...they are designed to recognize drives in sequence, by order of attachment..with the exception that the hard drive will be given the C: designation always (unless there is some other partition/drive which precedes the system drive). The optical drive is the next drive installed so it winds up with the D: designation.

Since these are the only two drives I have properly connected when I do a repair install...C: is my hard drive, D: is the optical drive.

Any drive attached to the system properly after Windows has been installed or a repair install conducted...will be assigned succeeding letters, in order of attachment...unless the user specifically assigns a letter (e.g., W, X, etc.) that is outside the normal Windows drive-assignment pattern.

I assign letters starting from the end of the alphabet to my storage hard drives, just to avoid confusion on my part.

<<When I restart after uninstalling the drivers, will the computer allocate the CD Drive with a letter before the Removable's. Won't the computer add back all the drivers once it is restarted>>

You seem to be ignoring what I stated...the premise of doing a repair install.

If you don't do a repair install, there really isn't any reason for anything to change, is there? I don't know if anything would change or not (by just removing the drivers), but I would doubt it. Of course, you can try it and see if it yields the results you seem to want.

I don't know of a fix that I would try...for what you describe...that I think will do the trick...short of a repair install.

Louis

#10 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:36 PM

Louis,

Appreciate all of your good suggestions! Is the repair Install your talking about when you choose to upgrade Vista through the Vista Installation Disk. I tried to uninstall the Removable drives from the computer, but when it reloads it puts them back to the same letter. My bigger problem is that I can't boot from a CD, therefore I am not going to be able to perform a upgrade or custom install. I put a different DVD player into the trouble computer and it shows up as the same drive, and has the same issue. I am trying to press F11 at boot up to get to the factory image restore option, but having no luck. I am at a loss and need some help. Thanks.

#11 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:37 PM

I finally solved the DVD Drive issue. I reinstalled the OS, therefore correcting the drive letter order. I figured out that the Sata connector was not fitting correctly and that's why the disk drive was not working. What's the deal with the drive becoming corroded and the connection not fitting in properly. I switched a new DVD Burner in there and it worked fine. Thanks for your help.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,235 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

Glad you solved it...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users