Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'no cpu l2 cache found. this may cause performance penalty'

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Francesca

Francesca

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:37 PM

Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help with this. My firend recently upgraded his Packard Bell imedia 6175 (details here http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/ind...emNr=P280109001 ) to windows xp pro. The problem is that it is running painfully slow despite it's specs being decent enough to cope with it. The memory has been upgraded to 256mb which I know isn't superfast but in comparison to other PCs I worked with I don't see the RAM being the problem. Windows and the hardware has been fully updated.

On running AIDA (now everest) it said this in the CPU problems and suggestions section;

no cpu l2 cache found. this may cause performance penalty

What does this mean and could this be the reason why it is so slow? Is a new processor needed? It is pentium III.

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:15 PM

This a celeron processor? Celeron processors do not have L2 cache which can cause a serious slow down in the computer.

Cache puts regularly used data onto a memory storage on the processor itself to decrease bottlenecks to repeatedly used information

#3 Francesca

Francesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:30 PM

Hello

Thanks for your reply. I don't think it's celeron here is the info...

Processor Properties:
Manufacturer INTEL
Version Pentium III
External Clock 133 MHz
Current Clock 1000 MHz
Type Central Processor
Voltage 2.0 V
Status Enabled
Socket Designation Socket 370

Should this have an L2 cache?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:44 PM

The l2 cache that they are not seeing is on the motherboard. The socket 370 motherboards do not have L2 cache. This will reduce performance but am not sure exactly by how much.

Have you checked to make sure its not running a bunch of useless startup programs that are not necessary to run? Things like office startup, etc.

#5 Francesca

Francesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:05 PM

Hi

Yeah we've checked that. It hardly has any software on it since it was reformatted - only Word was installed from office. We are not really sure what is going to be the best way to speed it up; it is worth it going for more ram as it's not that cheap for this machine, or would we better getting a new motherboard and cpu and using the rest of the parts? We just want to get it running XP reasonably at a low cost. Here is the link to the PCs page on Packard Bell site...

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/ind...emNr=P280109001

We'd really appreciate advice on new components. My friend emailed packard bell but has had no reply. I am able to assemble a computer when I have been given the right parts, but I'm still not sure on what parts are compatible when choosing them myself!

Thanks

#6 Francesca

Francesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

Actually on looking at that link I think that may be for a totally different model as it's not the same motherboard! Our motherboard is this one...

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 1000 MHz (7.5 x 133)
Motherboard Name MSI MS-6323 (2 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT82C694X Apollo Pro133A
System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (02/28/01)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Oh dear, lol :thumbsup:

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:43 PM

I cant even find that specific motherboard on MSI's site. I am going to assume based on models that have slightly higher model number that you are not going to get much past that speed in processor.

The problem is that if you upgrade the motherboard, for a newer processor, you will also need a newer processor and then new memory.

You can probably get a new motherboard, cpu (2.4 ghz), 512mb - gig of ram for 260ish + tax

#8 Francesca

Francesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:28 AM

I know I couldn't find it either! Oh well, I can get a decent upgradable base unit here for about equivilent of $300. I hate it when perfectly good computers don't work because of XP. I'd put linux on it but I don't think he'd be up for that!

Thanks for the advice!

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users