Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD Rom Icon Disappears

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Firerock

Firerock

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:17 PM

Hi,
My brother has Win 98se and can't get out of safe mode so he tryed to format the drive. It didn't start so he opened up My Computer and clicked on the icon and it Disappeared. Checked device manager and it's not even there. The computer won't shut down so he has to unplug it each time because it won't shut down and or freezes. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Regards :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:36 AM

Hi,
My brother has Win 98se and can't get out of safe mode so he tryed to format the drive. It didn't start so he opened up My Computer and clicked on the icon and it Disappeared. Checked device manager and it's not even there. The computer won't shut down so he has to unplug it each time because it won't shut down and or freezes. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

so you tried reformatting but it didn't start?
how did you try to do it ?
one way is to is to go to the win 98 safe mode screen at start up(press control at start up)
it should say dos prompt or some thing
in that type FDISK
i havent had win 98 for so long
so if that dont work then download the windows ME boot disk and put it on a floppy disk
and then do what i said to do before (dont do this:one way is to is to go to the win 98 safe mode screen at start up(press control at start up))

hes BOOT DISK:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

#3 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

For the boot-up disk. There are two one reads OEM Windows 98SE and the other Reads Windows 98SE Custom, No Ramdrive. I don't know what the Second means. I have downloaded Windows 98SE OEM. Since the cd rom does not work i will have to make a floppy, then what insert the floppy and start up the machine?. It will only start up in safe mode and will not shut don on it's own. I will probly need the latests drivers for his Samsung SC-140 cd rom drive as well.

Regards

Edited by Firerock, 18 September 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:31 AM

CD rom drives don't need drivers
do you have a windows xp or linux boot disk ? because you can boot one of those and if it wont boot then it means your CD drive is dead

if the bios is set to boot FLOPPY DISK then it will boot the floppy disk not the hard drive(windows 98)
and if i remember type in CD/ setup.exe or its DRIVE model(E.G. D:\setup.exe) to start windows 98 install(i think you should format and install)

#5 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:06 AM

Here is what we have so far. I downloaded the bootdisk from bootdisk.com, I downloaded the Windows 98SE shutdown supplement (patch), and downloaded the CD ROM drivers. I have not installed any of them. My brother lives 300 miles from me so everything is by phone. We deleted a duplicate file from device manager and the CD ROM symbol came back and the distorted screen came back to normal. Where trying to get things right to work on the CD ROM and why the computer will not shut down. He said it will boot up but can't get out of safe mode he tried selecting the normal mode but he said goes right back to safe mode. When he shuts it down he has to unplug it. He has the win 98SE disk.

Regards

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:25 PM

here is a shot in the dark, start --> run --> type msconfig and press enter. in the boot.ini tab make sure /safeboot is not selected. if it is the computer will enter safe mode on each reboot. uncheck and apply the change.

also you cannot format the drive if you have booted from that drive. that is why you have to use a boot disk (floppy or CD) to format C:\ drive

#7 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:05 AM

OK,
He typed in mysconfig to see if the box was checked that said Disable fast shutdown. The box was checked, tried to shut it down by normal methods but it just started back up again on its own. Then froze, had to unplug it again. The CD ROM icon that is in my computer tried to load a disk. Left click on the icon twice nothing happened. Checked device manager, no yellow question mark. Still doing the same thing. only difference is after deleting a duplicate file in device manger the icon reappeared. Don't understand this statement (CD ROM drives don't need drivers ) was able to download drivers from the web for Samsung SC - 140 don't know how to apply them tho. It reads the device is working normal.

#8 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:20 AM

the cd rom drive may be dead
why you need to try to boot from cd

the file you downloaded from samsung
what file is it called ? does it end in INI

or is it a firmware patch?

#9 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:43 AM

Hi,
Just trying to get the CD ROM to work. Maybe replace missing files from the win 98SE disk. Trying to get the shutdown problem fixed. you try to shut it down normally and it starts right back up on its own, Only way to shut it down is unplug it. The files for the drivers are zip, 5 files CDSETUP.EXE, ENG.FNT, MSCEDX.EXE, README.DOC, SSCDROM.SYS. 64kb.

Regards

#10 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:09 AM

can you attach the README.DOC
to see what it is
or just show me where you download these files from

#11 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

Here is the zip file hope this helps. Attached File  SAMSUNG_SC_140.zip   65.09KB   19 downloads
Regards

#12 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

The files for the drivers are zip, 5 files CDSETUP.EXE, ENG.FNT, MSCEDX.EXE, README.DOC, SSCDROM.SYS. 64kb
That's DOS mode driver for CD-ROM. Windows does not need special driver for that drive.

Firerock, are you trying to format the hard disk? If yes, then why take all that trouble of device manager and stuff?

A disappearing CD Rom and freezing computer may indicate the cable problems. Take out the data and power cable from your CDRom drive and re-attach them firmly. See if it works.

#13 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

Hi,
All the trouble shooting is mainly do to trying to fix the shutdown problem for the Windows 98SE. As explained Earlier my brother is 300 miles from me, all trouble shooting is done by phone. I will tell him your suggestion. While trying to shutdown it restarts it self. He tried to format the disk and found out the CD Rom didn't work. Why should he download the windows ME bootdisk instead of the windows 98SE bootdisk? as suggested earlier. He inserted the win 98SE disk and didn't know what format meant an clicked on it trying to replace files off the disk. This is when the CD Rom worked. It's never been the same since. I will get him to download the right bootdisk. and see if he will check those cables.
Regards

Edited by Firerock, 29 September 2009 - 10:50 AM.

#14 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:49 PM

Ok,
Lets take one thing at a time. What would make his computer shut down and start back up on it's own. After trying to shut it down normaly. No problem has been fixed.

Regards

#15 Firerock

Firerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:48 PM

OK,
Can anyone tell me why the computer freezes after about 10 minutes. Also starts up on its own after trying to shut it down normaly.
Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users