Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

want to switch from 98 to XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alisaalthaus

alisaalthaus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:38 PM

I have a windows 98 on a computer that was my mother's. It originally came with XP but due to her preferences, she had 98 installed. I have a new disk for XP but when I install it, it tells me to pick what I want to do. On the screen it has a box with C: Partition1 (windows 98) (Fat 32) 131067 MB (129785 MB free). It has the following choices: To set up windows XP on the selected item, press enter; To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C; To delete the selected partition, select D. When I press enter, it will not continue due to Windows 98 in that partition. I press C, nothing happens. I press D and I get the following info: "Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary Setup files that are required to complete the installation." When I press enter, it takes me back to the previous screen. I tried to uninstall 98 from add remove programs. That did not work. Where to go from here....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:37 PM

Hi alisaalthaus. Welcome to BleepingComputer :thumbsup:

Let me guess what you have been doing : you started Windows 98, inserted Windows XP disc and started to install XP. Then computer restarted and you cannot choose partition. Problem is that in this manner XP setup copies setup files on C: drive and you have only one partition so you cannot choose any partition. This way XP can be installed in dual boot mode along with Windows 98 for which you need at least two partitions.

This is what you can do :
1. Start in Windows 98. Backup all your important documents to an external disc like pendrive, USB hard disk, CD or DVD.
2. Insert XP disc. Cancel the XP setup if it starts. Restart your computer.
3. Choose to enter BIOS settings (by pressing Del in most cases) and make your CD as first boot device and Hard disk as second boot device. Save settings.
4. Your computer will be started again. Now you would see Press any key to boot from CD..... Hit any key on your keyboard and proceed.
5. In Windows XP setup when you reach the point to choose a partition, choose C: and then choose to perform full format as NTFS.

For full step-by-step XP setup instruction, see the following links :

XP Home clean install : http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm
XP Professional clean install : http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_install_-_graphic.htm

If you get stuck at any step, feel free to ask here :flowers:

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:18 AM

Totally off topic here, but, Romeo, your avatar makes me go :thumbsup:

The last one was kind of cute so I didn't complain at the heart being gone, but now, :flowers:

Yes I know it is your avatar and you can do what you want with it, but stiiiiill, lol. The heart just fits the name, what can I say? You knew this was coming anyway, right?

(Ok, this is the last time I will give you a bad time about your choice of avatars)

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:07 PM

Dear Stang777 :thumbsup:
You have been wondering why I changed my avatar (should I say mine because if you look at it its not mine at all). I can give a long answer which would be in form of a story but I prefer to be short and to the point besides long answer would take a lot of time to read for you and write for me. Well the thing is that I do not really know myself. It may be that I am not in love anymore. A song of Black Eyed Peas comes to mind : "Where is the love, the love, the love... ?"
Regards,
Romeo

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:04 AM

Awww Romeo, I am sorry to hear that :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic