Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB stick inserts and acts like a CD asks for CD insert

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 frank stein

frank stein

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:15 AM

Hello, I have two USB sticks that I was using to manage moving files around while doing a system overhaul on one of my computers.
Suddenly they both began to act like they were CD drives. When inserted in any computer the plug in play now acts as if they are CD drives and asks for a CD to be inserted.
What am I dealing with here?

As for the computers:
They appear clean now by HJT, Malaware and Panda. At the time when this began my son's computer had a resident trojans that I tagged and removed with Malaware.
These were swizzor and agent. He also had a registry entry that opened reg edit. All this is gone now.

1. Are these the cause of the lost USB drives?
2. Is the loss permanent?
3. If not how do I retrieve the data and if possible full use of the sticks

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users