Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Hangs.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 amd777

amd777

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:43 AM

Hello and thanks for looking.

XP Home
SP3
Gigabyte 7VTX
AMD1800
Creative Audigy
NVIDIA GFTi4200 AGP8X
Flarton 915ft plus
Windows media 11. Audacity.

Could anyone please suggest any diag or advice for the following problems.

On boot (first am) as windows loads - System/mouse/monitor/kb hangs. Need to force shutdown. After shutdown system will boot with any key?
Holding system in F8 state for around 5 mins, then system boots fine, as if something needed "warmup". Subsequent boots during day are fine.

Main problem same symptoms as above.

When playing video and or Mp3, online or off, system hangs as above.
The system will hang anywhere between 1 sec to a few mins.
Again the system will reboot pressing any key.

What I tried.
I have reinstalled windows many times.
Updates/drivers all in. AVScan. Dxdiag.
Disconected/reconnected cables/ribbons.
Removed sound card, reseated other cards and mem.

Could anyone please advise.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:21 AM

How much RAM installed?

How much free space on C:? How large is C:?

No shutdown problems?

Error message when system hangs at boot?

Louis

#3 amd777

amd777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:34 PM

Thanks so much for your reply Louis.
My apologies for the lack of information.

512 RAM
Free Space 50.8GB
Fast shutdown.
Dual Bios.

Events at time of hanging - offline, attempted to play MP3)

Events Security: Failure Audit:

Cat: Policy Change:
Event ID: 615
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE.
Description: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine.
This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to furher diagnose the problem.

Events System.

Source: DCOM.
Cat: None.
Type: Error
Event ID: 10005.
User: Computer.

Description:
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled services associated with it." attempting to start the service upnphost with arguments "" in order to run the server:

Louis: Current DCOM Status: Started; Automatic.
Path to executible: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost-k DcomLaunch
Logon as: Local System Account.
Profile 1: Enabled.
Recovery: Take No Action.
<no dependencies>
<no dependencies>

Louis: Current IPSEC Status: Started; Automatic.
Path to executible: C:\WINDOWS\System32\lsass.exe
Logon as: Local System account.
Profile 1: Enabled.
Recovery: If this service fails, the computer will restart. Recovery actions not supported for this service.

Dependencies: (Top box)
IPSEC Driver
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
TCP/IP Protocol Driver.

(no dependences in bottom box)

The other thing I should mention Louis is that on last reinstall the sequence did not pass user name so it just defaulted Owner. Although I changed the name Owner files exist.

The other thing, I now see a 10 second pause(blank screen) before windows kicks in, I thought this was because I enabled boot log - Ntbtlog, but I think that's a once demand from F8 for each individual boot. Not sure if relevant.

I hope this additional info helps Louis.
Thanks for your time.
Regards.
amd.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:16 PM

Hmm...I guess that I would be concerned about the failure of the security audit...unless you know of known issues at that particular time. I'm used to seeing a string of Success Audit entries, but I'm not smart enough to properly interpret anything else.

Microsoft says, Failure Audit (Security log): An event that describes an audited security event that did not complete successfully. For example, a Failure Audit may be logged when a user cannot access a network drive.

From what I see on the Web...this event happens frequently enough...but I don't really see where anyone asserts that it is or is not something to be concerned about.

Since your IPSEC service is running...I suggest not worrying about it.

As a general way of checking all system files, I would run sfc /scannow. Sometimes these little hiccups are caused by missing or damaged files which don't necessarily result in an error message us common users can interpret.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users