Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:58 AM

Hi all,got a little problem here,I think.When I first bootup,it takes abot 5or6 minutes before I can use the puter.My desktop and quick launch are there but can't access anything.I finally bring up the task manager and find in the process section that services.exe is at 400,000k in the memory section and the CPU usage is at about 60%.As I watch it,it goes up to 1,500,000k in memory for a few minutes and then drops back off to a normal level.After that I can use the puter as usual.I ran all my virus and spyware programs,which found nothing.I did a hijack this log which also found nothing.I use Webroot Spy Sweeper and Viper Anti-Virus.I tried to disable them from startup in MSConfig but when I reboot they start anyway.Could one of these programs be causin this on startup.Thanx,Tony.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:00 AM

<<When I first bootup,it takes abot 5or6 minutes...>>

I believe this is perfectly normal, at least on my systems.

I don't time my system...but I do know that an approximate 3-4 minutes will pass from the time I press the power button to system functionality is turned over to me.

I assum that this is due to normal file loading, firewall, etc. and I think that my firewall will not allow activity to proceed on the system before the "all clear" has been sent to the system.

The more items loading/running at startup, the more pronounced the interval from boot initiation to desktop manipulation...so I would take a look at the items which you are loading at startup.

Any scanner of any sort which you have configured to run...will be among those startup items, as well as any other programs which have thrown a startup item in when the program was installed.

One tool for managing startups: AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

The items that you want to look at will be on the Logon tab, do not look at any other tabs.

Louis

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:02 AM

Thanx for the quick reply Louis.I don't use a firewall and have no scheduled scans,I do those manually.My startup programs are down to a minimum but this never happened before I installed Vipre and Spy Sweeper.I figured someone might have noticed this with those programs installed.
Thanx again for the reply,Tony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users