Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think my computer is f****d

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 justCopewithit

justCopewithit

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:40 PM

Alright, so about 3 days or so ago, I saw that my virus protection icon (McAfee) had a red "x" and said that it needed to be updated, I tried to do this, but every time I did it would so a "This program has had a problem and must stop" window from windows. So I would send the error report and try again. On the third try, another window popped up that said "lodupgd had encountered a problem and must stop." I did a google search and found out this website and a post about a similar problem. The difference is, I can't run any antivirus programs, or update any of them, except kaspersky because it is web based, and even then, it found a few viruses, including "lodupgd" which I removed, yet a window keeps popping up saying "lodupgd had encountered a problem and must stop," and I still can't update my antivirus programs, McAfee, Malwarebytes.

What's the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

Please post the Kaspersky and malwareBytes logs. Are you running XP?
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 justCopewithit

justCopewithit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:56 PM

I can't run malwarebytes for some reason, I have reinstalled it twice.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 7.0.26.13
Last database update: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 06:42:34
Records in database: 2832926
Scan settings
scan using the following database extended
Scan archives yes
Scan e-mail databases yes
Scan area My Computer
C:\
D:\
G:\
Scan statistics
Objects scanned 69852
Threats found 4
Infected objects found 4
Suspicious objects found 0
Scan duration 01:10:41

File name Threat Threats count
C:\Documents and Settings\Sean\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\60\59af077c-29c2e3e7 Infected: Trojan-Downloader.Java.OpenConnection.at 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Sean\Local Settings\Temp\jiseexegqs.tmp Infected: Packed.Win32.TDSS.z 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Sean\Local Settings\Temp\service.tmp Infected: Trojan.Win32.Vilsel.a 1
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\Engine\5301.4018\lodupgd.jpg Infected: Trojan-Banker.Win32.MultiBanker.kg 1
Selected area has been scanned.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:41 AM

Ok you have some real ugliness on here so...
One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 justCopewithit

justCopewithit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:44 PM

Well I would prefer not to reformat, but it kind of sounds like I don't have much choice

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:07 PM

Your decision as to what action to take should be made by reading and asking yourself the questions presented in the "When should I re-format?" and What Do I Do? links I previously provided. As I already said, in some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

The best proceedure is a low level format. This completely wipes the drive. Then reinstall the OS.
Use the free version of Active@ KillDisk.
Or Darik's Boot And Nuke

The best sources of Information on this are
Reformatting Windows XP
Michael Stevens Tech

Of course also feel free to ask anything on this in the XP forum. They'd be glad to help.

==============================

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe/.scr/.htm/.html/.xml/.zip/.rar files as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Download Belarc Advisor - builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser.
Run it and then print out the results, they may be handy.

Since we don't know exactly which infections we're dealing with here, we should take some precautions before we attempt to move files from the infected machine. Run the following on your clean computer, and make sure you insert your flash drives at the prompt.
Download and Run FlashDisinfector

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Reinstall Windows Vista

To confirm if this is the serius infection ...Download this Utility and save it to your Desktop.
Double-click the Utility to run it and and let it finish.
When it states Finished! Press any key to exit, press any key to close the program.
It will save a .txt file to your desktop automatically. Double-click on the Win32kDiag.txt file that is located on your Desktop and post the entire contents of that log as part of the reply in the topic you will create below..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users