Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

strange share issue when on 2 networks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pr0n

pr0n

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:34 PM

I have a server I use mainly for cron job backups via ftp. I have 2 NICs in it one with a public static ip plugged directly into the gateway(w/ built in switch) and another NIC with a static local IP plugged into a 24 port switch which is plugged into my router (both WAN and LAN connection) and also into the switch on the gateway.

Problem I had network shares that where working perfectly prior to the dual NIC setup (when it was only on the LAN) now I cannot access these shares via the standard "\\<computername>\<share>" protocol. I have to "\\<local IP address>\<share>" instead. What changed, and how do I fix it?

here's the NIC configurations
NOTE: for the local configuration I only specified a subnet mask and preferred IP address everything else I left blank

P.S. I inherited this network from a previous employee, it seems to work pretty well but if the setup seems absolutely retarded feel free to let me know.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet
NIC
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::54f6:4174:b9e1:5cb2%18(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9165:27c1:3a73:f354%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 173.***.***.114(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.248
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 173.***.***.118
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.85.98
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Edited by pr0n, 16 September 2009 - 09:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:23 PM

Your network has me a little baffled(probably because I am tired).

NIC 1 - has a static public IP and is connected to the gateway

NIC 2 - has a static private IP is connected to a 24 port switch that then plugs into a router's WAN and a LAN port. If I am reading it correctly, from the 24 port switch it also plugs into the gateway.

Why is it setup like this?

And I am unclear why you can't use the computer name, you have NETBios enabled on both NICs.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 pr0n

pr0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:58 AM

to be absolutely honest I dunno. Should I tear it out and start over? like I said I inherited the network from a previous employee. I'm not sure what he was doing when he set it up but the only issue I have with it is I can't access any of my public IP machines from outside the network unless they're plugged directly into the switch on the gateway/modem. The subnet mask used for static public IPs is 255.255.255.248 and for local IPs it's 255.255.255.0 That's just they way I found it and so I left it that way.

it pings perfectly fine by the name and returns the local address (192.168.1.3) which is wierd cause sometimes if I go to the windows network and then open the workgroup it will show "inv-rbs" (the name of the machine) then if I try to open it, it locks up and can't fine the path....
it pings fine also by the static public WAN address

the stupid machine is even returned by a net view command then if I net view \\inv-rbs it can't find it. I've been reading http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727013.aspx but so far it hasn't clued me in on anything

should I disable netbios on the WAN NIC?

Edited by pr0n, 17 September 2009 - 11:29 AM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:10 PM

If it works minus the name thing I'd leave it. Without knowing and by that I mean seeing the network layout, I wouldn't begin to tell someone to dismantle their network. And No I am not asking you to do that.

The static public IP comes from your ISP, so the subnet mask is whatever they decide it to be.

Did I read correctly you are using Windows 2008 Server? Just curious why not use domain instead of workgroups?

I am still baffled by the name thing lol. As you have read, NETBios's very very basic job is name recognition. You have it enabled so it should be doing its job, which it is by you pinging. By why it is being a butthead when it comes to actually connecting, I am not sure. lol

Did the employee you inherited this from leave the company? If so did he leave on bad terms? Cause if you could talk to him maybe he can shed some light on why he set it up the way he did. I am assuming he didn't leave any network notes there when he left.

Because normally you'd have the server behind the router and give access to it, port forwarding or VPN or something like that.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 pr0n

pr0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:41 PM

the reason for not using domains is because there are quite a few desktop machines here some running xp home and for sake of ease I just leave workgroup at default name of "workgroup". If I used domains wouldn't I have to change the domain of any computer I wanted to access to file share from? I have spoke with the other guy that set it up and he's an idiot for lack of better terminology. the Owner of the company who kind of Oked it doesn't really know a whole ton about networking. But I believe when they set it up they had multiple static IPs using the same services and ports and so a router firewall in front wouldn't have worked.

Edited by pr0n, 17 September 2009 - 02:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users