Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows on e and c drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tony5150

tony5150

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

HELLO, I HAVE HAD MY COMPUTER REBUILT DUE TO MOTHERBOARD FAILURE A FEW MONTHS AGO. THE REPAIRMAN SAID HE SAVED ALL MY PHOTOGRAPHS BY PUTTING THEM ON E DRIVE. HE ALSO SAID SOMETHING ABOUT A SLAVE DRIVE. I HAVE JUST REALIZED THAT I HAVE 2 COMPLETE COPIES OF WINDOWS , ONE ON C DRIVE ONE ON E DRIVE. THIS CAUSES A LONG TIME IN DOING VIRUS SCANS AND SO ON.MY PHOTOGRAPHS ARE ON BOTH DRIVES SO CAN I DELETE THE E DRIVES COPY OF WINDOWS OR IS THERE A SAFE WAY TO DETERMINE IF IT IS NEEDED IN THE COMPUTER ? THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:59 PM

Close all folder windows. Open Start Menu > Run, type %windir% and press Enter. If C:\Windows folder opens up, then you can delete E:\Windows and vice-versa.

Once you know you have to delete which folder (say E:\Windows), you would find other folders like Program Files, My Documents etc on the same drive (e.g., E:\Program Files). You can safely delete Program Files too. Before you delete My Documents folder just have a look at it and backup anything you find, it may contain your important files. But before you delete the folder, make sure the folder being deleted is just another installation of Windows and it does not contain any important files.

A better way of finding if a folder is needed or not, is to rename it to something else for example rename E:\Windows to E:\Bummer and wait for next two-three weeks. Use your computer regularly, if in this time Windows does not raise any error or warning, you can delete the folder finally.

#3 tony5150

tony5150
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:44 PM

OK. I will give it a try . Thank you

#4 tony5150

tony5150
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:55 AM

Could you walk me through how to rename the folder process ? I am a novice on computers but, I am trying to learn. Thanks so much.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

How to rename a folder :
Right-click on a folder and select Rename. You would see the folder name turn into an editable text box. Type the new folder name in this editable text box. Press Enter to finish.
Instead of right-clicking and selecting Rename, you can select a folder by left-clicking on it and when selected hit F2 on your keyboard for the same effect.

Edited by Romeo29, 18 September 2009 - 11:45 AM.

#6 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:47 AM

Romeo is correct ;) You shouldnt have windows on both drives. the reason its on both i have no idea. unless its a second hand and two HDD's? :thumbsup:

Anyhow. good luck.

#7 tony5150

tony5150
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

Thank you so much, Saved me an hour drive one way and lots of time to have it serviced again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users