Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Antivirus 2008

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 falconfixer86261

falconfixer86261

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:36 PM

Per moderator instructions please see various attached logs. Infected computer redirects all browsing away from antivirus sites and blocks antivirus from running from thumb drive. Also blocks regedit and file search.

Thanks,
Dave

Apologies if I didn't follow all posting requirements or if anything is missing.

Dave

Attached Files

Edited by The weatherman, 16 September 2009 - 05:43 PM.
Merged posts.~Tw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:26 PM

Hello,

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and
we are trying our best to keep up.

My name is Syler and I will be helping you to solve your Malware issues. If you have since resolved your issues I would appreciate if you
would let me no so I can close this topic, if you still need help please let me no what issues you are still having, in your next reply.

• Download random's system information tool (RSIT) by random/random from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on RSIT.exe to run RSIT.
  • Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.
  • Once it has finished, two logs will open. Please post the contents of both log.txt (<<will be maximized) and info.txt (<<will be minimized)
Then please post back here with the following:
  • log.txt
  • info.txt
Thanks

unite.jpg

#3 falconfixer86261

falconfixer86261
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:12 PM

Hello,

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and
we are trying our best to keep up.

My name is Syler and I will be helping you to solve your Malware issues. If you have since resolved your issues I would appreciate if you
would let me no so I can close this topic, if you still need help please let me no what issues you are still having, in your next reply.

• Download random's system information tool (RSIT) by random/random from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on RSIT.exe to run RSIT.
  • Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.
  • Once it has finished, two logs will open. Please post the contents of both log.txt (<<will be maximized) and info.txt (<<will be minimized)
Then please post back here with the following:
  • log.txt
  • info.txt
Thanks

Hello Syler,
Thanks for helping and no worries on the delay. I could see that all of you were very busy. I thought at first it was the XP Antivirus 2008 Malware but it is something more. I can only get the computer to function at any speed in safe mode. In addition it redirects away from all antivirus websites and it blocks execution of antivirus software. It also has killed all the restore points in System Restore and blocks use of Run and Regedit functions. I've attached the requested files.

Thanks again,
Dave

Attached Files

• Attached File  info.txt   22.98KB   17 downloads
  • Attached File  log.txt   23.62KB   12 downloads

#4 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

Hi Dave,

You do have a bit more than just XP Antivirus, your ark scan shows that you have a rootkit so this will be what is causing most of your problems.

One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan/Rootkit.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:
How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.

If you decide you want to proceed with trying to clean your machine please follow these next steps.

Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed, click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it will produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.
ComboFix SHOULD NOT be used unless requested by a forum helper

If you need help, see this link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

unite.jpg

#5 falconfixer86261

falconfixer86261
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

Syler,
It's blocking ComboFix from running.

Dave

#6 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

Please try renaming combofix.exe to combo-fix.exe

unite.jpg

#7 falconfixer86261

falconfixer86261
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:51 PM

Please try renaming combofix.exe to combo-fix.exe

Got it to run by renaming. Thanks - here is the combofix log.

Attached Files

#8 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:45 AM

HI,
  • Go to Start >> Run, and type Notepad into the run box, then click Ok.
  • Copy and paste the following code into Notepad. ( Do not include the word "CODE")
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile]
"EnableFirewall"=dword:00000001
  • Click on the File tab, and select Save.
  • In the box that opens type Regfix.reg for the File name.
  • Change the Save as type to All Files, then save it to your Desktop. (It should look like this Posted Image)
  • Double click Regfix.reg, Select yes when it prompts you, then Ok.
Next

Please set your system to show all files.
Click Start, open My Computer, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types
Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
Click Yes to confirm.

Then

Please click this link-->Jotti
When the jotti page has finished loading, click the Browse button and navigate to the following file and click Submit.

c:\windows\is-FH4TD.exe

Please post back the results of the scan in your next post.
If Jotti is busy, try the same at Virustotal: http://www.virustotal.com/

Next

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Note: If you already have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, just update then run it.
  • Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan (the scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient).
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and Paste the entire report in your next reply .
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.

Please post back here with the following logs:
  • Jotti results
  • MBAM log
  • New Rsit log
Thanks

unite.jpg

#9 falconfixer86261

falconfixer86261
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:37 PM

HI,

• Go to Start >> Run, and type Notepad into the run box, then click Ok.
  • Copy and paste the following code into Notepad. ( Do not include the word "CODE")
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile]
"EnableFirewall"=dword:00000001
  • Click on the File tab, and select Save.
  • In the box that opens type Regfix.reg for the File name.
  • Change the Save as type to All Files, then save it to your Desktop. (It should look like this Posted Image)
  • Double click Regfix.reg, Select yes when it prompts you, then Ok.
Next

Please set your system to show all files.
Click Start, open My Computer, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types
Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
Click Yes to confirm.

Then

Please click this link-->Jotti
When the jotti page has finished loading, click the Browse button and navigate to the following file and click Submit.

c:\windows\is-FH4TD.exe

Please post back the results of the scan in your next post.
If Jotti is busy, try the same at Virustotal: http://www.virustotal.com/

Next

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Note: If you already have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, just update then run it.
  • Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan (the scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient).
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and Paste the entire report in your next reply .
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.

• Jotti results
  • MBAM log
  • New Rsit log
Thanks

Hi,
Jotti results showed no infections found in any of the scanners.
MBAM and RSIT logs attached.

Thanks for your continued help.

Dave

Attached Files

#10 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:58 PM

Dave,

You have post the Rsit log twice, can you please post the MBAM log, also you do not need to keep quoting what I am saying just reply with the information
I ask for.

Cheers

unite.jpg

#11 falconfixer86261

falconfixer86261
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:06 PM

Sorry for the dup post. Here is the MBAM log.

Attached Files

#12 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

Uninstall ComboFix
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.
Posted Image

Next

Download and run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe).
Running the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR.exe) removes all 2005, 2006, and 2007 and newer versions of McAfee consumer products.
  • McAfee Security Center
  • McAfee VirusScan
  • McAfee Personal Firewall Plus
  • McAfee Privacy Service
  • McAfee SpamKiller
  • McAfee Wireless Network Security
  • McAfee SiteAdvisor
  • McAfee Data Backup
  • McAfee Network Manager
  • McAfee Easy Network
  • McAfee AntiSpyware
  • Click Save and save the file to any folder on the computer.
  • Navigate to the folder where the file is saved.
  • Double-click MCPR.exe.
  • Click Run. A Command Line window will be displayed, and then close automatically. Wait for a second Command Line window to be displayed.
    Note: Do not double-click MCPR.exe again, you may have to wait up to 1 minute for the next window to appear.
    After the second window appears, the program will begin the cleanup.
  • Observe the installation, which could take several minutes. The following message will be displayed in the Command Line window:
    The machine must reboot to complete the un-installation. Reboot now? [y.n]
  • Press Y on the keyboard.
  • Wait for the computer to restart.
All McAfee products are now removed from your computer.
These McAfee removal instructions can be found at http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=408302

Next

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Look for "Java Runtime Environment (JRE)" JRE 6 Update 16.
  • Click the Download button to the right.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Under Required Files, check the box for Windows Offline Installation, click the link below it and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Reamove or Change/Remove button and follow the onscreen instructions for the Java uninstaller.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u16-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
-- If using Windows Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
-- If you choose to update via the Java applet in Control Panel, uncheck the option to install the Toolbar unless you want it.
-- The uninstaller incorporated in this release removes previous Updates 10 and above, but does not remove older versions, so they still need to be removed manually.

Note: The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications. To disable the JQS service if you don't want to use it, go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter. Click Ok and reboot your computer.

Next

Please do a scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner

Note: If you are using Windows Vista, open your browser by right-clicking on its icon and select 'Run as administrator' to perform this scan.

Click on the Accept button and install any components it needs.
  • The program will install and then begin downloading the latest definition files.
  • After the files have been downloaded on the left side of the page in the Scan section select My Computer
  • This will start the program and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while, so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete, click on View scan report
  • Now, click on the Save Report as button.
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.
  • Kaspersky report
  • New Rsit log
Thanks

unite.jpg

#13 falconfixer86261

falconfixer86261
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:15 PM

When I try to run Kapersky I get a message that says, "Launch of the Java application is interrupted. Please establish an uninterrupted internet connection for work with this program"

#14 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:57 AM

Ok please try this scanner instead.

Please run a BitDefender Online Scan

Note: Only works with internet explorer
  • Click on the Start Scanner button.
  • Check I Agree to agree to the EULA, then click start here.
  • Allow the ActiveX control to install when prompted.
  • Click Start scan to begin scanning.
  • Please refrain from using the computer until the scan is finished. This might take a while to run, but it is important that nothing else is running while you scan.
  • When the scan is finished, click on Click here to export the scan results.
  • Save the report to your desktop as results.txt and post it in your next reply.

unite.jpg

#15 falconfixer86261

falconfixer86261
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:21 PM

Will do, thanks. I'm away on weekend military duty but will be able to do this in about 27 hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users