Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Trimbaud

Trimbaud

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:34 AM

I have a Zyxel G220 wireless adaptor on my laptop (Windows XP, home edition).

I’m having problems with the adaptor - it sounds to me like a problem with the adaptor or its driver, but I would like to run it past you guys for confirmation or suggestions.

We have Verizon FIOS at home. The laptop connected fine with the Zyxel, but caught a bug that I couldn’t remove, so I rebooted from the startup discs.

I then installed the driver for the Zyxel – but couldn’t connect to the Internet. I showed that the adaptor was picking up a very strong signal, but Explorer simply wouldn’t connect.

I called Verizon Wireless support – after quite some time, with the assistance of the support tech, I uninstalled the full Zyxel driver, reinstalled just what was needed for the driver so that Windows would make the connection. In doing that, he had me change some of the settings for the Internet connection (I’m pretty sure Wireless Zero Config was set up as automatic).

This has worked, but not consistently. Sometimes I show no signal, although the router is providing one. Sometimes I show a good signal, but Firefox (downloaded during one of the times I was connected) says it cannot connect. When this happens, I usually have to try several times and putz around for a while – disconnecting and reconnecting the adaptor, or restarting – then ten the browser connects to the signal, and I’m good for a while.

Any thoughts on this? I thought at first the tech had bollixed up my connections – but I recalled it happened from the get-go. And if I am connecting sometime, its not the Network connections – or is it??
And, finally – if it is the adaptor, when I get the new one and reinstall it and the driver, is there anything I need to do to make sure the browser connects properly?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I just want this to work!!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users