Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cant download new version of Live Messenger

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TheDuped1

TheDuped1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:44 AM

Hi guys I am new on here and have come up against a new problem today that I hope you guys can help me with...For months now every time I log on to my live messenger I get a message to update to newer version its been running fine......But on the odd occasion I have tried to download said update and it gets right to the end and then rolls back.........Ive tried numerous things in order to sort this matter out but to no avail....Windows are so unhelpful its not even funny.....Any way I go on today and try to log in and now it says that I cant go any futher unless I update.....And I tried and as you guessed it will not download......Please help many thanks The Duped1.......big time again.....

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:37 AM

I suggest you try the following,
Visit the following link which is a safe recommended download site http://www.filehippo.com/ and download new versions of Live Messenger and also another free program you will find there called Revo Uninstaller. Install Revo Uninstaller and after rebooting your PC, use it to uninstall your present install of WLM using the guide in the following link.

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticgeek/2008...vo-uninstaller/

When you are finished, reboot your PC and try to install the latest version of WLM which you downloaded from File Hippo. Hope this helps.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#3 TheDuped1

TheDuped1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:47 AM

Is this revo program on the same lines as ccleaner....? As I have tried alsorts ....Just to reiterate I had what I thought was the up to date version on m Pc and for a while now its been prompting me to update for ages but left it as it was ok....But when I tried to update it keeps going on a roll back....and now I have gone back to what I can only asume is the first ever messenger....I have tried to uninstall it all but there is nothing in my add and remove programs......?

I have used allsorts of stuff to try and rectify this but still to no avail.....Why are Messeenger themselves no help on this matter....?

#4 TheDuped1

TheDuped1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:01 AM

Cant download new version of messenger and have tried every thing I can think of........Can any one help please ..many thanks.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:37 AM

Can you download anything else?
What OS (Win 2K, XPsp1, XPsp2, Vista) are you using?

In order to assist you effectively, we need more specific information.
Please read Before you post about a problem, Some simple guidelines, then reply back here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:52 PM

No, Revo is not a registry cleaner but is the same as the onboard Windows uninstaller. It just does a more thorough job of it and deletes a lot more than the onboard one does. The windows uninstaller tends to leave folders in Documents and Settings and in the Registry, Revo will remove these for you. If you have no mention of WLM in your Add/remove programs list it could be that the problem is with bits of the old one which haven't been uninstalled properly. install Revo and install WLM and after you have rebooted your PC use Revo to uninstall WLM. This will also remove any remaining bits from any previous installs. After you have done this then re-install WLM and see if your problem has disappeared.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#7 TheDuped1

TheDuped1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

My OS is xp Sp 3.....And yes it will download everything else.......Ive tried all sorts of various stuff....But it has reverted back to messenger 4 I think t is but in my add and remove it says its not there ...which I thought was odd....?

Edited by TheDuped1, 16 September 2009 - 02:33 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:38 PM

Are you trying to download from here or some other site?
http://download.live.com/messenger

You could download from another computer (family member, friend, library, etc), save to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD, transfer to your machine, then install and run the program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 TheDuped1

TheDuped1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

I guess you meant once I have installed revo Then UN install wlm....?

Ive tried all this and still nothing ....Messenger sent me a how to and its the same as I have been doing all along but still keeps rolling back the install....

Thanks for your help tho..

#10 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

It is possible that the problem lies with the Windows Installer. Go to MSN Downloads and download and install the latest version of Windows Installer.

#11 TheDuped1

TheDuped1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:53 AM

Thanks buddy....I did what you said with regards to the Revo uninstaller.......Installed that and ran all the various stuff that does......Takin off all the wlm bits and bobs...

It took hours to run the virus scan after all that but was all worth it......Stayed up till 3 this morning but its all good now ....Restarted ....took a well earned break then started her up and tried to re download all the WL stuff and boom ...it loaded first time......

Cheers again for all your help...much obliged to you.....

#12 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

You're welcome, glad you got it fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users