Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Internet & downloads!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:00 AM

There is a Dell Vostro 400 Desktop (dual Core, 1 GB of RAM, Windows XP), at work that has progressivley decreased in performance. The internet rarely connects, downloads are really slow and general performance has decreased over time. It is connected on a network with many other computers and is directly hooked up via an Ethernet connection. The other computers connected to the same network seem to be fine. I have done many scans looking for malware/spyware, but it seems to be clean. I was going to reformat the hard drive and start again with factory restore. However, I decided to bring it home and connect it to my Verizon Fios connection. I have 20/5 download and upload speeds. I noticed that the Internet speed was fast and downloads were quick. I am assuming at work that the connection speed is slower! However, I do remember this computer being alot quicker 6 months ago on the same connection at work. Should I call comcast (work ISP) or what other reason could be affecting the PC at work. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PC WizKid

PC WizKid

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:05 AM

Are you sure that there is nothing else like programs using the internet.
I love Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 RC no more :cry:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

Who is your work IT point-of-contact?

Louis

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:40 AM

Not sure I know what you mean! When it tries to connect to the Internet it takes forever and most of the time doesn't connect. Downloads take an incredibly long time to finish. what else could be causing this issue. Thanks for the reply.

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:51 AM

There is a guy that helps mostly with the quickbooks program and did originally set up the network. If the computer and Internet are running flawlessly on my Verizon Internet connection at home, but terrible on the work connection, what does that mean. Could there be a problem coming from the router/modem to the computer. Wouldn't that mean that the other computer's hooked up would be experiencing similar problems. I could hook the computer up to another connection if that would help diagnose the problem. Appreciate the quick responses.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:16 PM

If it's a work computer...then someone at work should be consulted, IMO.

Users who try to do things with a computer...which is not owned by them...sometimes circumvent the sytem of control/maintenance instituted by the owners.

IMO, that is not a good position to be in.

You cannot really make a comparison between a home situation (on a different connection) with a work situation (domain/intranet/etc.). If there's a problem with that work network, it needs to be addressed at work...by the proper personnel.

Just my opinion.

Louis

#7 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:35 PM

I agree with you on this one. After doing some maintenance on the PC it is running much better. Connecting to the Internet and Quickbooks on the same Ethernet connection. If it is a network problem I will leave it up their IT guy. Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users