Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'OsThunkD3dContextDestroyAll' error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 bluelight7

bluelight7

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:22 AM

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium - Service Pack 1

So this is what happened - I turned my laptop on (Asus M51VSeries), logged in and then left it running for a couple of hours. I suspect during this time a Windows Update may have occurred which may be causing my problems. When I came back to the laptop, I noticed that the nice Vista Aero effect had disappeared and was replaced with the basic Vista theme. I restarted my computer and it was still displaying the Vista basic theme and also an error message appeared
Attached File  help.png   9.79KB   19 downloads.

I then attempted to open Mozilla Firefox 3.5.3, which crashed immediately after opening. I tried this a few times which produced the same results. I was able to open up Firefox in it's safe mode though. I then decided to do a system restore as there was next to no information about my problem that I could find. The system restore was to a few minutes after I first switched my laptop on that day (15/09/2009 ) with the note 'Install - Windows Update' next to it. I completed the system restore, and found that the error message still displayed, the basic theme was still there, but I could go on Firefox without it's safe mode.

I have run a full Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware scan and it found nothing.

So basically I want to know how to remove the error message (which appears every time I re-boot the laptop) and get things running normally again!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PC WizKid

PC WizKid

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:42 AM

Why not try an older restore point?
I love Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 RC no more :cry:

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:40 AM

d3d8.dll is a Direct3D DLL which gives support to games from DirectX controls version 8.

Try updating DirectX
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 bluelight7

bluelight7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:46 AM

d3d8.dll is a Direct3D DLL which gives support to games from DirectX controls version 8.

Try updating DirectX

Just tried this, the installer said I'm using the latest version of DirectX)

#5 bluelight7

bluelight7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:08 PM

Any more help on this? The error is still appearing and the Vista Basic theme is still applied. I also found that I now can't view pictures on the photo viewer.

Maybe I should post in the malware section?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:02 PM

you can give that a try
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:28 PM

Topic closed to avoid confusion with this one: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/258887/osthunkd3dcontextdestroyall-error/ ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users