Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ashampoo Burning Studio 9 - DVD+RW formatting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:23 AM

Hello everyone...

I've got one specific and annoying issue here.

My Ashampoo Burning Studio 9 (I'm on a trial) have had formatted my new (and first :thumbsup:) DVD+RW into some strange format, called "UDF", that can't be properly recognized by the system (Windows XP, SP2).

How can I (if such is possible) "reformat" my new DVD+RW into "LFS" (Live File System... that is recommended by Microsoft) format?

Thanks so much in advance...

Additional info.: OS: Windows XP, SP2; drive: LG GH20NS10 (DVD-RAM); media: Verbatim x4 DVD+RW, single-layer; burning software: Ashampoo Burning Studio 9, latest (v.9.12).

With trust in BC-forums, rhino1366

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:10 AM

Well, well...

Still - no reply, yet...

I couldn't believe, that none knows, how to burn compact discs properly here. Same, I can't believe, that none who knows, how to do it, couldn't reply at this time. This sucks... come on, people! Try to help!

Anyway...

My guesses are such:

1. Windows XP with SP2 can't burn DVDs with its own built in methods.
2. Maybe, that Windows XP with SP2 even can't display DVDs properly / work with them.
3. The "UDF" format, that were charged to my DVD (at its first burn) automatically by Ashampoo - isn't something unusual, because Nero FREE did the same, but with a "CDFS" format. The guess here, is that charging format types to RWs automatically - is normal.
4. RWs can't be formatted/reformatted manually.

If something from this is true - please confirm. :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot...

rhino1366

Edited by rhino1366, 16 September 2009 - 06:10 AM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:12 AM

Everything I've been able to find is that the 'standard' is in fact 'UDF'. Also LFS is Microsoft's name for the UDF format. For more information on the differing formats and Microsoft's mishandling of them. The article is written using Vista but that is the same format Windows uses starting with XP. See this article: Burning Issues With Vista

The summary is quite relevant.

Microsoft's Live File System is in fact Universal Disk Format(*).
Not all CD-ROM players are capable of handling UDF disks.

Microsoft isn't really to blame, at least as far as lock-in is concerned – although more accurate information on the nature of “Live File System” could have prevented quite a bit of trouble and confusion. Also, it depends on the CD or DVD device whether a UDF formatted disk can be used or not. Especially older CD-ROM players may not be UDF-compatible.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users