Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File sharing between Mac and Windows

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 juvanya

juvanya

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:57 PM

I just made the leap and bought a Macbook Pro. :thumbsup: Now I want to be able to transfer files easily from my Windows to my Macbook.

I have the wireless network based on the Mac all set up and the Windows can connect to it. I just cant figure out how to send files to the Mac.

The Windows is XP and the Macbook is OS X 10.6.

I also have an ethernet cable if that makes things easier or faster.

Please and thank you! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:34 AM

This site explains it for XP and 10.4. I am sure 10.6 is the same as far as setting it up but I have read a couple sites saying they messed up in 10.6 when connecting to Windows based things. Some people have no issue and others do, just a FYI.

I would suggest, just to make sure you can connect, turning off firewalls and the like. Now if you have security setup for the wireless, like WPA2-PSK and you can connect to the net, that you can leave. Once you have it all set up and it works, if you have a firewall turn it on and make sure you are still sharing.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 juvanya

juvanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:09 AM

I tried that, but it does not seem to connect. Of course I may not be doing it right. There are some parts I had trouble understanding.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:58 AM

Ok what parts?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 juvanya

juvanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

Well if I need the Mac firewall off, that.
The ports I used to know how to open, but forgot.
This subnet thing I dont get, but it appears they are different subnets.

The rest I understand and then I get to this part:
It will then attempt to connect to the PC

which never happens. It says "can not connect" or something. Is that the problem people have?

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

Well if I need the Mac firewall off, that. - Stage 3 shows a screen shot of a MAC screen. It has Firewall right there beside Services. I'm fairly sure you click on that and there will be a STOP or Disable button or something. MACs are nothing if not user friendly.

The ports I used to know how to open, but forgot. - If you turn on File sharing on both, those ports will be opened on their own.

This subnet thing I dont get, but it appears they are different subnets. - If you have them connected to the same router, they both have an address like 192.168.x.x or 10..x.x.x.

It will then attempt to connect to the PC - You will need to goto the windows machine and get the IP address. Click Start -> click Run -> type CMD and hit Enter -> in the window that pops up type ipconfig /all -> looks for Local Area Connection and you'll see the line IP Address:

#7 juvanya

juvanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:48 PM

I am not using a router. I set up a network with the Mac's AirPort thing.

I will try the other things because what you just said seems a little bit different than what I did.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:29 PM

ok...this is info that I sorta needed to know. Can you explain how your network is set up? Starting with the device from your ISP and how your computers connect to it.

But if you don't want to that is fine. The next site you ask tho, give them the full picture of your network and you'll get lots more help.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 16 September 2009 - 09:30 PM.

#9 juvanya

juvanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:44 PM

I did:

I have the wireless network based on the Mac all set up

Although I may have worded it a bit vaguely.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

And just FYI the Airport is a wireless router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users