Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 installations of windows XP home need to retrieve files from one?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KGC

KGC

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

Hello,

I had problem with a bad storage drive on my pc so I disconnected it. I wasn't able to start my pc without inserting the windows disk. Now I have 2 versions of windows xp home installed on my pc. Can I some how merge the 2 since all my programs are on the other windows? I can see all the files and programs when I go into the all users folders but I can't open the program. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

KGC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:05 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

1. Boot into the install that you want to keep.

2. Delete the other Windows folder (for the install that you don't want).

3. Then follow the procedures outlined at Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm.

Louis

#3 KGC

KGC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for checking my post Louis, How would I go about booting into a different windows xp os? Sorry i'm a novice at best when it comes to the inner workings of an operating systems. I will be home in a couple hours to acutally use your advise.

thanks again.

KGC

Edited by KGC, 16 September 2009 - 05:10 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:46 PM

When you first boot the system...you should be presented with a screen (reflecting two installs of XP) which allows you to choose which instally you want to boot into.

Let me know if that does not happen.

Louis

#5 KGC

KGC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:19 PM

when I start the pc it goes straight to windows screen. Then the welcome screen then my desktop.

I beleive because their was something wrong with the first installation of xp home. so when I reinstalled windows again I believe it asked me if I wanted to install over the existing version. Once it completed I noticed that when I went into the all users folder it still had all the programs and files from the first installation. I hope I'm not confusing you.

I will be home in a couple of hours and I can post some screen shots if that would help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:09 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#7 KGC

KGC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

it was a custom build Im running a p4 3.2ghz, 2 gb of ram with windows xp home edition service pack 2. it is installed on a western digital 36gb hard drive. here is a copy of my boot ini if that helps.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\TEMP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\TEMP="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Edited by KGC, 16 September 2009 - 10:37 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

Hmmm...your boot.ini file only reflects 1 install of XP Home...which matches your statement that the system only presents 1 install option.

What makes you say that you have two installs?

Louis

#9 KGC

KGC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:11 AM

I guess because when I re-installed windows and I go into c:\Documents and Settings\All Users there is a folder with all of my previous documents and programs that I had installed on the first installation of windows. My original purpose for this post was to see if there was a way I could transfer those files to my new install so that I don't have to re-install all the programs I had. I hope this makes sense.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:09 AM

Got it :thumbsup:, thanks.

This is what I believe transpired...but I'm just guessing, since I've never been in a situation where this can happen.

When you used the install CD, you somehow triggered a new install of XP.

Depending on the CD used for such, users may have an option of backing up the previous existing files and having them saved/stored on the hard drive. This may be represented by what is currently reflected in your Docs & Settings folder of the new install.

If your old profile was retained, I believe that would be the key (although I'm not sure).

You say that you see your old programs, as well as data files. I suspect that you see shortcuts, not programs...Documents & Settings does not normally reflect any program data, although it does reflect the desktop and any shortcuts to programs which may have been on the desktop.

I would go to Control Panel, User Accounts...and see how many and what profiles are currently stored there. Theoretically, you might be able to migrate settings from the old profile to the new...but I don't think that will have any impact on either the registry or installed programs.

In essence...I don't know what is in the file that you mention...or how the backup works. I suspect that the only way to get installed programs to mirror what previously existed...would be to undo the backup which I believe was created.

I don't know how to do that.

It might help someone more knowledgeable than me...if you list the contents or post a screenshot of this Docs & Settings folder which you believe contains your old programs/data. Put the folder in Explorer view before taking a screenshot, please...it's the contents of the folder that will be enlightening, if anything will.

As for data files in any Docs & Settings folder from a previous install...you may have to take ownership of those folders before you can actually move anything. This is a common, expected consequence.

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#11 KGC

KGC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:36 AM

Thanks Louis, I will try the control panel thinkg when I get home, and post some screenshots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users