Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow boot and more

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 x.rae

x.rae

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:44 PM

Hi, this is a great resource! I am hoping y'all can help me determine the nature of my computer problems.

I have been browsing this forum for a few days and have tried several of the fixes outlined here but am still having issues with the computer booting s-l-o-w-l-y (5+ minutes) and with running slowly in certain instances once it's booted up. It also takes a LONG time to go into hibernation or to shut down once it's running. I mainly run Photoshop, MS Office, iTunes, Picasa, and Internet applications. Now I am unable to watch videos in Picasa, QuickTime, Windows Media Player without them being herky-jerky -- this is a relatively new development.

SYSTEM INFO:
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 6000
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1729 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A09, 9/28/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.17 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.35 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

-------------------------------------------

14.8 GB free on C: drive.

I doubled (and maxed out) the memory a few months ago, but the upgrade didn't provide the speed increases I was expecting. Now things are slowing down more and more. In the past week I have experienced BSOD 3 times, but now cannot remember how to access the logs that give the results of the BSOD. Research at the time said it was either a memory problem or a driver problem, but I don't know how to isolate the problem driver.

The computer is also running hot -- I had issues with that about a year ago, then needed an unrelated repair and at that time the computer got a thorough internal cleaning and it ran much cooler. I did get a spontaneous shutdown a few times and when the computer restarted it said it was due to heat. I have not had those types of shutdowns since then. But I have noticed the machine running hot again, so it's probably mucked up inside again. But I do not know for sure that the current issues are related to heat.

Task Manager shows a lot of CPU usage, often at 100%. On that screen right now it's showing
TOTALS
Handles 30180
Threads 673
Processes 64

I have run a system cleanup to delete temp files etc.

I run Avast! antivirus. I have run a full scan and it found a few issues that I fixed. I then ran several of the anti-malware scans recommended here with no infections.
I ran two different memory diagnostics suggested here and found no problems.

I followed the instructions on the SLOW COMPUTER thread:
I have disabled several startup options using the Startup Inspector and another program.
I have run a defrag.
I did reboot in safe mode and the computer booted pretty quickly.
I have not run CHKDSK yet.

I have uninstalled Flash, Java (there were several separate updates showing in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS), and other internet plug-in type apps. I have uninstalled unncesessary programs -- trials, old games, etc.

I am connectetd to a home network via wireless but the speed issues persist whether or not my wireless is on.

I cannot think of a single thing I've done to the machine or have installed that created an immediate slowdown. But the computer is about four years old.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:37 AM

Just so you have some thing to compare with.
Handles 9008
Threads 442
Processes 32
Physical Memory (K) 3143712
8 CPU Usage
PF Usage 406 MB
Thats what my computer is doing now.

Edited by Layback Bear, 16 September 2009 - 05:38 AM.

#3 x.rae

x.rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:55 PM

Thanks. Any ideas?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:14 PM

Every program you listed in your original post...is a memory hog and some (if not all) will run all sorts of files/processes if the user permits such.

I suspect that you need to not run them all at the same time...just a wild guess. 2GB of RAM is sufficient for routine things, not sure what you are doing is routine.

Louis

Also...it appears that your virtual memory is too low. Is XP managing that?

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2009 - 08:22 PM.

#5 x.rae

x.rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:24 PM

I know Photoshop is a hog, trust me on that one. Oh, did I mention the thousands of fonts? I know that can also slow things down. BUT, Photoshop etc. aren't loaded on boot/shutdown. So I'm looking elsewhere for causes.

I think XP is managing the virtual memory, I will check and report back. Running chkdsk now.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:25 AM

IMO, XP should be managing virtual memory.

As for seeing what runs at startup...a good tool is AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx.

All startup items (including Windows files, drivers, etc.) are tabbed/listed by this program, but the items that you would be interested in are listed on the Logon tab. I suggest taking a look at the items there, you may be surprised.

Disabling any item using Autoruns only prevents the item from running at boot, the program/process is still available when user decides to employ it on the system.

Louis

#7 x.rae

x.rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:21 AM

The Virtual Memory was set to a custom size, I changed the settings to automatic.

There are some consistent boot errors in the Event Viewer Application log:

------------

Event Type: Information
Event Source: gusvc
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 9/17/2009
Time: 7:20:13 AM
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( gusvc ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

------------
Event Source: iPod Service
Time: 7:20:29 AM
Computer:
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( iPod Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

------------
Time: 7:21:17 AM
Computer:
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( gusvc ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service stopped.

------------
Event Source: EvtEng
Time: 8:52:56 AM
Computer: PORTABLEPORTER
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( EvtEng ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

------------
Event Source: Bonjour Service
Event ID: 1
Time: 8:53:25 AM
Computer: PORTABLEPORTER
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( Bonjour Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: mDNSResponder started

------------
Time: 8:53:27 AM
Computer:
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( gusvc ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

------------
Event Source: RegSrvc
Time: 8:53:34 AM
Computer:
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( RegSrvc ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.
------------

I have no idea if CHKDSK found any errors -- it ran overnight and then booted to an admin login with no report that I can see.

#8 nem7glan

nem7glan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:34 AM

hi, does your I6000 still have diagnostics on F12. You don't say if you have run this, if not it could be worth hitting F12 at start up and running the diags - hard drive and graphics seem a good place to start. You say you ran anti malware scans: hopefully one of these was malwarebytes? and did you run it in safe mode? Also a lot of people recommend running on line scans at Kaspersky or Panda. Something else to consider is to download C Cleaner - not for malware, but just because it gets rid of a lot of unnecessary stuff. Hope these quick thoughts are useful.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:18 AM

All of the items you posted from Event Viewer...are information items.

Generally, these are classified as "info" items because they require no action by user.

Errors...are marked as such and are what we should be looking for, since they generally have a greater impact on system functionality.

The gusvc file mentioned appears to be a file for Google Updater, http://www.fileinspect.com/fileinfo/google...terservice-exe/. If you see any errors regarding such, I suggest uninstalling that program/service.

Info: http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/regsrvc/

Info: http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/evteng/

Louis

#10 x.rae

x.rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:02 PM

I uninstalled both the Google Updater and Bonjour services which were giving errors in the Event Viewer. No discernible difference in boot/shutdown speed.

I only find one consistent error in the Event Log (edit: System log of Event Viewer), which is for a printer that I thought was no longer installed on the system. It does not show up in the installed printers list, but apparently it still lingers in my system somewhere. I browsed the link provided in the error message but didn't see anything applying to an error when the printer is no longer installed. Maybe I should install it again and then uninstall it?

------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Print
Event ID: 23
Time: 1:37:25 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:
Description:
Printer Dell Photo Printer 720,0 failed to initialize because a suitable Dell Photo Printer 720 driver could not be found.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

------

I have run the F12 diagnostics.

I have run Malwarebytes. I do not remember if I did that in Safe Mode, so I will do that.

Edited by x.rae, 17 September 2009 - 01:06 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:33 PM

My experience is that...printers seldom uninstall everything which they have installed...particularly so with Lexmark printers (which I believe Dell often includes as part of their systems).

You might take a look in Services (Start/Run...type services.msc and hit Enter) and see if any printer-related services are still running. I know that with Lexmark printers, the LEXBCES service would often remain after a printer uninstall was completed (I used Lexmark printers for a number of years).

If you find any services running for uninstalled printer, simply disable the service, don't worry about uninstalling any residue.

Additional data, per http://www.answerbag.com/articles/About-Pr...ec-097ad687f2de :

"Dell did not begin selling printers until 2003. At that point it partnered with Lexmark, and Lexmark manufactured Dell-brand printers. This means that generally there is a compatible Lexmark printer model for most Dell models. In the case of the Dell 720 Color Inkjet Printer, that printer is the Lexmark Z605; the 720 is essentially a rebranded Z605. This does not automatically mean that everything about the Z605 is compatible with the 720, however."

Louis

#12 x.rae

x.rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:09 PM

MalwareBytes scan run in safe mode with two Registry keys "infected" with adware from PopCap and removed.

#13 x.rae

x.rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:59 PM

Glory hallelujah, I think it's fixed!

(For the moment anyway!)

It seems that the hard drive reverted to PIO mode rather than UDMA. I diagnosed using the comments on several sites and used the fixes outlined here:
http://neodon.blogspot.com/2006/07/little-...hard-drive.html
http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57588
http://winhlp.com/node/10
and elsewhere.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

The fix in your first link...is a standard one for correcting this situation.

The problem (at least for me) is that hardly anyone thinks to check whether DMA mode is the current transfer mode on a drive. When it happened to me, I think it took me a couple of days before I thought about it, based on a different Web reference.

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#15 x.rae

x.rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for your help, I hope this is useful to someone else. I did use the recommendations suggested by first blog post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users