Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Introduce yourself

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 11 September 2004 - 11:41 AM

I wanted to start a thread that all of us can put a little bit about ourselves, including new members. The only thing that I ask, is to edit your first message, when you want to add more information, so that the thread does not expand too fast. For now, I want to welcome all new members to the forum. I will amend as soon as possible, with information about myself.

Edited: My name is Jason, but you can call me anything you want :flowers: . I have found this home from Grinler, when TechTV was going through some major changes. At first, I really enjoyed the games, and although they are good, I find myself spending more time in the boards. I love to read, to educate myself on see what is going on with everyone's computer. Often, I even remember some things :inlove: . Even though I have been using computers nearly all my life, I have really started to learn alot when I got high-speed internet (cable), just a year or so ago. To anyone who thinks that their question is not important, then take a moment to wonder why it is not already listed. It is because someone did not take the time to post it. Because of this-there is NO dumb or stupid question.
Currently, I am using an E-Machine, that has nearly everything upgraded-extra HD, new video card, new sound card, and more RAM. Even though I have dual displays, I still find that I crave more and more screen space, or more hands( I cant figure out which) :trumpet: . If I am not multi-tasking at least 4 or 5 things at the same time, I almost go through withdrawls. Now, if only I can get my wife to understand why I can't sit still just to watch a movie on TV :thumbsup:

Edited by JEservices, 11 September 2004 - 11:56 AM.

We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 11 September 2004 - 01:15 PM

Being that I was probably instrumental in Jason being good enough to start this thread, Iíd better divulge some details about myself.

I live on Scotlandís West Coast on a remote island. I moved here some years ago to get out of the rat race and to perhaps get some time to do the things I wanted to do before it got too late.

Most of my working career has been spent in IT starting life on a ICL 1900 16k cassette machine writing in COBOL with punched card & paper tape input (well thatís giving my age away a little ;-) ). I progressed up the management ladder, which took me away from the hands on stuff and it wasnít until I arrived in Scotland that I started to get my hands dirty on PCís.

I run a small business doing not-so-good-web-page-design, search engine positioning and tech support for local people. My main interests at the moment are in helping people infected with malware having had 3 machines locally with serious infections.

Iím looking forward to getting to know you all a little better, I find the atmosphere here very relaxed and enjoyable. I hope in the future I can contribute in a practical way to the success of these forums.

Kindest regards,
Peter

#3 Bobi-p

Bobi-p

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:45 PM

My name is Bobi and I live in the Mojave Desert of California. I am an RN with many years experience and have just started in computers about six years ago. I am self-taught with the help of Computer Forums like My PC Clinic and WorldStart. I have been with them since my beginning and WS beginning. I enjoy learning as much as I can about Computers. I joined this Group a short while ago and have gleaned some new tidbits for my trivia soaked brain. I am enjoying it here and plan to stay. Thanks for the Thread.

#4 kopidoll

kopidoll

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 11 September 2004 - 03:18 PM

[FONT=Impact][SIZE=7][COLOR=purple]Hi I am Dody in Ky. , I'm new here & new to computers , still a rookie ! I'm always wanting to learn anything there is to know about computers . Mine is a Dell & I hate their technical supprt system ! No help at all ! :flowers: Shortly after getting my computer my Internet Explorer was shut down , maybe hacked who knows but I had to have it fixed cause I didn't know what to do . Since then I have learned a lot about my system .
I have a web site if anyone wants to visit , its a small business I'm trying to start .... http://earth.inalbum.com/web/kopidoll , come visit me sometime . Thanks :thumbsup:

#5 programed

programed

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 04:08 AM

My name is Paul. My job has nothing to do with computers.

For many years I used to volunteer to help people with their computers. I get throwaways and fix them to give away. That is how taught myself what little I know. Now my hobby pays for it's self by giving people with no computer skills their first lessons on PC use and maintenance ( I charge very little and the second visit is free ! ) I do not buy or sell hardware.

I live in Canada's only true desert. If it wasnot for the INTERNET and the opportunity to share questions and answers with all of you ( around the world ) I wouldn't be able to keep up with new PC challenges or problems. I am very happy to just meet all of you.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 14 September 2004 - 07:44 AM

Cant miss me can you!? Well Hi all! Im not new to computers infact I know a good bit. For tippers google your pc problems and leran from them. And buy the complete idiots guide to your program that you have on your pc and the advanced complete idiots guide there great! My real names Austin.....I live on a dairy farm with around 400+- cows! Cows next to cats are the dummest animals around but hey cheers I get lots of milk! Bad part is people just drop animals off down here at the barn thinking they can live off of the milk but they cant they need hard food! So usually we end up getting dogs and cats dropped of all the time that we have to find a home for! Lets see we have around 70 cats down at the barn right now! 70+- cats ive counted them! I have 9 cats on my back porch and 4 dogs we own! Ok I think that about sums it up???????????

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:18 AM

Guess you have to watch where you walk over there huh CGM?

:thumbsup:

#8 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:24 AM

Hi everyone!
In the short time I've been a member here, I have enjoyed myself greatly. I love reading the threads and offering any help or advice possible. I'm also self-taught when it comes to computers. I had a couple of classes and some training through school and jobs but none of that (that I had anyway) really prepares you or teaches you very much. I have loved computers all my life and knew I'd be around them in some capacity. As mentioned by kopidoll, I truly believe the more you experience problems on your PC, is what makes most of us skilled to help others. Kinda like 'hey I know how to fix that! That same thing happened to me just last month', etc...
I'm a Hoosier by birth but a very proud Texas transplant. I balance out my time in BC, Pogo, and family. I am an extremely proud mom of three teens. One is on her own in Irving, a son attending UNT-Denton (go Green!), and a high school junior. I'm also raising my 2 yr old granddaughter - who turns 3 next week. I don't put anything past her, she's a genius. Just two weeks ago, she completely uninstalled my firewall, lol. She also knows how to pull up Paint so she can 'make Spongebob' and pull up WMP to play some of her favorite songs. I think she knows more than many our ages, lmao! But I love and adore her and she's too beautiful so you can't get mad at her. I'm rather impressed! lol
Well, I'm sure this is more than anyone cared to know so I'll stop here.
Most importantly, Grinler ROCKS and so does BC! I'm sure all will find a 'second home' here. I used another forum before this one and they STINK. I won't name them, though.
Thanks Jason for a great thread!

~67~

P.S. LMAO @ Grinler!

#9 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:38 PM

Howdy folks, my name is Steve but yall can call me Bear. I live in South East Texas and I'm a level 2 tech support rep for the largest ISP in the south. Just wanted to say hello :thumbsup:
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:49 PM

Welcome bear :thumbsup: Pleased to have you here....

*Ducks for fear of Jason yelling at me for going off topic :flowers:*

#11 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 14 September 2004 - 01:02 PM

I'm Joe, to those who know me offline. Living near Tacoma, Washington. Less than two years at the PC, but I've been around the use of computers in business and office capacities a lot longer. I'm spent time in the Printing business, managing an Inplant Printshop and working at several commercial printing businesses in various positions, including running one of my own. Since my teenage years I've worked on cars & trucks, and have an Automotive Technology training in my background. My son made sure that I got a PC of my own. It might be in exchange for the early driving lessons and all the advice I gave him about cars & etc. I've also enjoyed Framing & construction jobs and Warehouse work along the way that has led me to semi-retirement presently. :thumbsup:

BTW, Bear...I think your avatar and signatures are top-notch
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:33 PM

Greetings. I am John living in Chicago. Although I have an advanced degree in philosophy, most of my experience has been as a sytem administrator and then as a project manager in IT. Naturally I am familiar with Office type applications. Working with programmers and computer "power users" has given me a broad knowledge about software and computer security which I try to share with others. As a user I have experienced most of the common problems found here, and as a IT "professional" I necessarily keep abreast of the latest issues in security and applications. I am also an advocate of open source.
Regards to all,
John

Edited by jgweed, 14 September 2004 - 02:35 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#13 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:42 PM

Psst Jason, don't read this - :flowers:

Definitely top-notch! That is exactly what I was looking for in my sig but still can't find anyone to create them for me. :thumbsup:

Ah! A fellow Texan! Welcome and Howdy Bear....glad to have you here!

~67~

#14 cdggraham

cdggraham

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 04:04 PM

Greetings, I am Connie from Central Arkansas. I won't name the little town I live in because I only sleep there, I'm usually somewhere else working or having fun!

I started out with punch cards (age is showing?), keypunching, then computer operations and data control. I left mainframe work about 16 years ago and have only used a PC since then. I like the internet but I am ignorant about fixing anything wrong on my pc. I don't even know how to use these smilies!

My hobby is kayaking. I accidentally got into it looking for a fishing boat and joined a local club. There are hundreds of us in the club and we have a fine time. We do a lot of conservancy and cleanup projects on state lakes and rivers.

It is nice to see so many experts here. And like kopidoll, I hate Dell. We got new Dells at work, mine kept seeing my hp all-in-one as a disk drive and a lot of other problems (some still exist) and we just got the run-around...."that's a windows problem you have to contact them....windows=that's the sellers problem" So we got no response at all.

I'm just living with things like when I close word, the program tries to update the normal template. sigh..... :thumbsup:

So I joined this site to get help.

#15 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome & the nice comments about my avatar and signature :thumbsup:
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users