Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble w/ Norton AV 09 Live Update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EMN7

EMN7

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:56 PM

Over the last 3 weeks or so, every now and then I get a screen upon starting up that states that Live Update didn't load properly for Norton AV 09. The only option I have is to uninstall and reinstall. This usually fixes it but it seems to resurface several days later. I have been using the Norton Removal tool. If I have this problem again, should I uninstall it manually or by using Revo Uninstaller? Any feedback is appreciated.

BTW I have Vista 32-bit.

Edited by EMN7, 15 September 2009 - 06:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

Use the removal tool
Maybe check your firewall and security settings as to why the update won't download
If you use any real-time scanners like Spybot's Teatimer, they can also hamper the download

Edited by garmanma, 16 September 2009 - 10:48 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

Over the last 3 weeks or so, every now and then I get a screen upon starting up that states that Live Update didn't load properly for Norton AV 09. The only option I have is to uninstall and reinstall. This usually fixes it but it seems to resurface several days later. I have been using the Norton Removal tool. If I have this problem again, should I uninstall it manually or by using Revo Uninstaller? Any feedback is appreciated.

BTW I have Vista 32-bit.

Hi EMN7,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

As long as you have a valid subscription to Norton AntiVirus, you are entitled to a free update to the 2010 version. I would strongly advise you to update to the latest version.

The installer for 2010 will automatically recognize if you have an older version installed and will install the newest version and upon reboot, will delete the old files. Please NOTE, while this process will update you to the latest version of Norton AntiVirus, it will not extend your subscription.

To update to the latest version of Norton AntiVirus, please visit the Norton Update Center at the link below.

Norton Update Center

After the update is complete and you have restarted your computer, launch Norton AntiVirus 2010 and select "Run LiveUpdate". After the updates have been installed perform a "Full System Scan" to make sure there are no infections on your computer.

Let me know if you receive any error messages or experience any other issues.

Thank you,
Mike

Edited by Michael York, 18 September 2009 - 03:52 PM.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#4 EMN7

EMN7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for the responses. As of the last week, everything seems to be running smoothly (w/ 2009). My computer was attacked last month and it seems as though I was able to clean it (with the help of bleepingcomputer). Not wanting to go through the same thing, I stepped up my security levels and turned on "Early Load" for my Real Time Protection. Since I turned it off I have not had any problems. Don't know if that's coincidence or that was it - any thoughts? Thanks again.

Edited by EMN7, 21 September 2009 - 02:19 AM.

#5 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the responses. As of the last week, everything seems to be running smoothly (w/ 2009). My computer was attacked last month and it seems as though I was able to clean it (with the help of bleepingcomputer). Not wanting to go through the same thing, I stepped up my security levels and turned on "Early Load" for my Real Time Protection. Since I turned it off I have not had any problems. Don't know if that's coincidence or that was it - any thoughts? Thanks again.

Hi EMN7,

Norton AntiVirus 2009 does not contain a firewall. Do you currently have a software firewall in-place?

Turning on Early-Load is a good idea, as it will load Auto-Protect before any of your other startup items. There is no correlation between the LiveUpdate failures you experienced and the Early Load option. As i'm sure you are aware, both LiveUpdate and Pulse Updates should run automatically in the background as long as they are enabled. However, you can also manually run both of them as well.

Since you mention that your computer was attacked, there are a few other options in Norton AntiVirus 2009 that you may want to set, at least temporarily. The first setting is the "Advanced Heuristic Protection" which you can set to "Aggressive". If you set this setting, be sure to investigate any threats that may be detected, as enabling this setting can cause a good file to be flagged as being infected. The second setting is the "Scan Performance Profiles" which you can set to "Full" to ensure that all of the files on your computer are scanned.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users