Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can virus/malware infect printer memory?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lisaf

lisaf

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:37 PM

I have a new PC running Vista, which conveniently let someone set up a network the first time I plugged it in. (DSL modem hadn't yet authenticated to the ISP server.) In a Catch-22, before the computer could download its Windows security patches & Norton updates, something snuck in & did a bunch of registry changes, etc. -- & even delayed the start of said Windows updates.

If PC reboots, I have to go into Tools>Internet Options>Advanced, and then "Enable Phishing Filter" (it disables it). Also in that section the selection for "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks" is greyed out.

Also, in Ctrl Panel>System>System Protection, I had to disable "Allow remote assistance connections to this computer" on the Remote tab of the System Properties window.

In Ctrl Panel>Network & Sharing Center, had to turn off File Sharing. In Network Properties it had File & Printer Sharing enabled. Terminal Services keeps re-enabling itself. There is a Public Desktop, etc., etc......................

Anyways I know it's infected/hacked (will post more later), but my question for now is:

If I hook up my new printer/scanner/fax/copier to the computer in order to print a document, is there a chance the malware/whatever could get into the printer's memory & remain resident there? (I did stop the Print Spooler service.)
Edited to add: Of course I'll unhook the ethernet connection first.

Edited by lisaf, 15 September 2009 - 04:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

If I hook up my new printer/scanner/fax/copier to the computer in order to print a document, is there a chance the malware/whatever could get into the printer's memory & remain resident there? (I did stop the Print Spooler service.)

It's highly unlikely
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users