Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kevinrsmitrh

Kevinrsmitrh

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:33 AM

Hi
I must have done something silly to my XP op system because I can no longer update my definitions in my antivirus or for the beta antispyware program. It was all working but has stopped and I can't backtrack to the point it went bad. Message is that prog cannot access the internet. I am logged on to my ISP at the time and have set the exceptions necessary in the Windows firewall. Even disabled the firewall. All other stuff works, like Outlook and Internet Explorer.
Can anyone help?

Regards

kev

(moderator edit: topic moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 25 July 2005 - 10:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:20 AM

What antivirus are you using?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:22 AM

If you are connected to the Internet, then it may be that your clock has the incorrect time. This will prevent many programs from updating. Make sure time and date are correct, if they are off, correct and try to update again. :thumbsup:

#4 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:33 PM

Also be sure you're logged on with a Windows user account that has administrative priviledges. I have found I cannot update(or install) anything unless I log off my limited account and log back on as my administrative account. I don't like to be on the internet using the administrative account for security reasons, so I make sure I get off the net ASAP after the update is done. Maybe this is the problem.

Edited by buttoni, 25 July 2005 - 01:34 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#5 Kevinrsmitrh

Kevinrsmitrh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:03 PM

What antivirus are you using?

Hi

I'm using Grisoft free AVG.
This will also not update and I cannot use an FTP program.

Kev

#6 Kevinrsmitrh

Kevinrsmitrh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:05 PM

If you are connected to the Internet, then it may be that your clock has the incorrect time. This will prevent many programs from updating. Make sure time and date are correct, if they are off, correct and try to update again. :thumbsup:

Hi

I regularly "ping" an atomic clock.

Guess its not that

Kev

#7 Kevinrsmitrh

Kevinrsmitrh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:07 PM

Also be sure you're logged on with a Windows user account that has administrative priviledges. I have found I cannot update(or install) anything unless I log off my limited account and log back on as my administrative account. I don't like to be on the internet using the administrative account for security reasons, so I make sure I get off the net ASAP after the update is done. Maybe this is the problem.

Thanks

But I have only set up one account and that is as administrator.

As OUTLOOK and Windows EXPLORER get out, I guess these use a different means of access .....?

Kev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users