Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer crashed & now will only startup in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ezpkns34

ezpkns34

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

This morning while converting a .mp4 file to a .wmv, my browser closed 'due to error' & shortly after my computer crashed (blue screen came up saying to restart it due to whatever issues). I turned it off & turned it back on, only to get the blue screen again. I just started it up in safe mode w/o issues and am currently scanning it w/ MBAM (which I just happened to update Sunday.

My question is, depending on what MBAM finds, would it be easier (or even possible) for me to restore my computer from a previous restore point (say from this past Thursday)?

Also, if needed, I can give the MBAM results after it has finished scanning (I'm currently on a different computer, but can put any logs or anything on a usb flash drive & transfer them to this computer)

EDIT: MBAM found nothing. I tried to restart it again in normal mode & it started up. After starting up, a MS Windows popup appeared saying "The system has recovered from a serious error." There's also a link on the popup that allows me to see what data this error report contains. When I click on that & then on the link in the next popup to view technical info about the error report, it lists 2 files under my documents that I've never seen before. These files are in the following folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Nick\Local Settings\temp\WERdcbd.dir00
Should I go ahead & delete this folder? Of the 3 files in it, 2 were the files mentioned in the error report

Edited by ezpkns34, 15 September 2009 - 07:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:04 PM

It would have been nice to see what the entire error message said
It's a temp file, so if you do not have any problems go ahead and delete it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users