Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nothing shows up in Device Manager or Network Connections

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:56 PM

Recently I moved, and now when I try to boot up my laptop I have the above problem. My system was running perfectly when shut down just prior to moving, and all I did was disconnect the cable internet and router, having set up a wireless LAN over 2 years ago. Temporarily at my brother’s home while trying to find my own place, I fixed a bunch of problems on his system, including DSL issues, in advance of setting up a router so I’d have internet access w/ my laptop.

When I got around to firing up my Sony Vaio and went to Network Connections, lo & behold there was NOTHING in there, yet there had been at least 2-3 connections that I’d dfinitely not deleted. There was no “View Available Wireless Networks” link either. While troubleshooting the issue I went to Device Manager, and NOTHING shows up in there either. When I select “View resources by Type” I get an Error msg stating “MMC has detected an Error in a snap-in…etc.”

Soon the system started having problems booting, but finally would after 2-3 attempts, then give an Error Msg (w/ these details):

System Recovered from a serious Error --
Error Signature
BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : 80544A9D BCP3 : A7524B7C
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

Error Report Contents
C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd050.dir00\Mini091509-05.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd050.dir00\sysdata.xml

This is very weird in my experience. I’ve since Googled around and found suggestions like “enable PnP” (was already enabled), that it might have to do with “Group Policy settings” (which I surely didn’t change or ever even set!) and things like that. Also found some registry edits/workarounds and a couple Hotfixes from MS, yet don’t wish to just experiment with what “might work” and end up only making the problem worse. Saw Hotfix 95397 but seems to be more for right after installing SP3 – which I did months ago. Arghh…

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Sony Corporation
System Model VGN-FS742
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1729 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD R0080J1, 7/10/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.34
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.43 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.84 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I need my computer up and running now, as I’ve many critical things I need to get done, especially after all the down-time spent moving. Thanks in advance for suggestions. If more info's needed, let me know as I'm working on this non-stop until rectified, and have my brother's PC for net access to check back. Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:24 PM

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

The problem with this info...is that a "driver issue" can be many things, as many applications...hardware...and XP itself...all employ drivers.

So does malware.

I suggest doing a search of your system for any .dmp files and then following the procedures outlined at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Any other known system anomalies?

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:38 PM

Long shot on DM and can't test right now:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;311504

Then:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

These can be uninstalled later if desired.

Good system info... I like it.

Edited by joseibarra, 15 September 2009 - 01:42 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:06 PM

(Jose: PnP is/was enabled and not the problem)

Hamluis,

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I fail to see how there could even possibly be 'hardware compat. issues or bio upgrade required' given the circumstances, which are: My system was running 100% perfectly, as it had been for months, at the time I packed up the cable modem and router. After some online banking I simply I closed up my laptop, brought it here to my brother's house, and didn't change or add one thing. When I tried to start it up here - notably with NO internet connection...meaning my wireless LAN wasn't present and I hadn't hooked directly into my Bro's DSL...that's when all this began.

I should also note that my HP all-in-one printer fax was configured wireless, so that's also currently not connected either.

It's my feeling that "something" is trying to load, be it a driver or service, and because XP or that former wireless connection can't find it...there ya go. I'm pretty darn good with troubleshooting and all that, but this is freaking wierd. In App Errors it appears that MS Fax may be causing a problem, as it appears several times, as in trying to load/start service. Thought about trying to reinstall MMC (cur ver 3.0) but don't know if that'd even help or is doable.

BTW, I've already ran a full sys scan w/ ESET Security Suite, which was always running before as well. Additionally, I had the router + a firewall, so feel malware, etc. is not the problem either.

Will work on getting those .dmp files. That's a longggg list of stuff detailed in that link: almost a career involved there, and just what I didn't need. My money is on this all being related to the network connection/wireless aspect...which is the only thing that changed between shutting down prior to moving and firing up here. JMO

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

....drivers are considered "hardware" when assessing the types of errors possible, typically.

I suppose that the reasoning is that hardware devices are what users think of when they hear drivers...I don't know.

As for the error description...that's a description that's generally recognized as most concise and to the point by those attempting to troubleshoot STOP errors (in general) and your particular error (specifically). You can review the entire list anytime, http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm. It's compiled, generic info...there can be a wide variance between what transpires on System A and System Z with the same STOP code.

In any case, it's an inaccurate association...there are all sorts of drivers which have nothing to do with hardware...which are alive and well in every install of XP.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users