Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 5 while attempting to back up files on c:\

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ParamedicNL

ParamedicNL

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:26 AM

I would like to thank everybody in advance for their assistance. I am fairly well versed in computers, but I am unable to find any information to help me out with this problem.

I have an Acer Aspire 5100 Notebook with AMD Turion 64X2 TL-50. 1.6 GHz, 2X256KB cache. 160GB HDD. Up to 256MB ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 Hypermemory. Came with 1GB DDR2, but I have 4GB in it now, no problems related to that since I installed them. Windows Vista Home Premium sp1.

Some time ago, Windows downloaded an update for the HDD that gave me a blue screen at startup error. I did a System Restore and everything was fine, but forgot to change the Windows Update options to not install updates automatically. Same problem, but this time I can't Restore back far enough because I hadn't shut down the computer for almost a month. The Error reads :
***STOP: 0X0000007B (0X80599BB0, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I know this is a common error. What I'm trying to do now is be able to correct it with System Recovery, or backup all my data on my C and D drives onto my external USB hard drive and start Vista from scratch with a backup disk or possibly 'upgrade' to XP. Startup Repair cannot fix the error. Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool does not even complete before the computer powers down. All the stored System Restore points give me catastrophic errors upon completion.
What I'm trying to do now, is use the command prompt robocopy to copy files to the external. I've had some success; all my music and pictures stored on the D drive have been successfully backed up. However, all my videos and very important documents are in (I believe) C:\users and Robocopy cannot copy them because access is denied. I always see 'Error 5' 0X00000005. As far as I know, it is impossible to log in as administrator, and if there is a password allocated to the administrator account, I don't know it. However when I log in under my own user name and go into command promt, on the top it reads
Administrator:X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe so as far as I can tell i should have all permissions.

What should i be putting into the command prompt to give me these permissions? I can't seem to find anything that helps me with this problem. Or is this not possible at all? If this is the case, what are my other options for backing up these important files?
Thanks again everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:08 AM

Re your failure to be able to use System restore - Have you tried going into Safe Mode and uninstalling the bad Windows update?

#3 ParamedicNL

ParamedicNL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

I haven't been able to figure out a way to enter safe mode. When I initially power on the laptop, I get the blue screen stop error. When I turn off the laptop, and turn it on again, my choices are to start windows normally and enter startup repair. Is there a way to enter safe mode with the command prompt?

I think I am gonna break down and buy a 2.5" SATA Usb enclosure. If I buy one, will I have issues backing up the data from the hard drive to a pc with the errorneous drivers on it?

#4 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:16 AM

Sounds like you can log in under your own user name?
If so can you try uninstalling the bad update.

#5 ParamedicNL

ParamedicNL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:20 AM

I am going to bump this, in effect.
I have puchased a 2.5" SATA enclosure, put the hard drive in it and connected it to a desktop running XP. When I try to copy the files in c:\users from the laptop hard drive to the external hard drive I have I get an error message saying access is denied. The d:\ partition copies with no issues, and it did as well in the command prompt robocopy in the system recovery environment.
I have attempted to enter safe mode on the laptop using the F8 key, and I get the same blue screen error. I also have attempted to start windows with the settings of the last successful start and receive the same blue screen.
I cannot enter windows normally, same blue screen.
My only option is to enter system recovery. Startup repair cannot fix the error. Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool shuts down before completion. I do not have any restore points created. At this point, there are no automatically created system restore points i can use. I am limited to the command prompt to back up these files prior to starting windows from scratch with my recovery disk.
Once again any help is greatly appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users