Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is constantly freezing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rainydaze

rainydaze

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:12 AM

Hello,

I am having a lot of dfficulty with my computer. Since a few weeks now, the computer will randomly begin to freeze. Sometimes right away after start, or when left inactive, other times it will work for hours then suddenly freeze up. I am not sure what the problem is. Last month I had trouble with my Ipod and had to reformat it, which led me to reinstall Itunes. Ever since then the computer has been crashing and I will have to restart everything.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by rainydaze, 15 September 2009 - 10:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:25 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Since you fingered iTunes...I would go to Event Viewer and see if there are any errors listing iTunes as the troublespot.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

If so, I would uninstall it, reinstall it.

How much free space in C: partition? How large is C:?

How much RAM installed on system?

If there are any errors in Event Viewer citing IDE0, IDE1, etc...post the details of those.

Louis

#3 rainydaze

rainydaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hello hamluis,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I checked in the Event Viewer and Itunes is not listed at all, this only goes as far back as 9/7/09 and I had the Itunes problems in August. I did not find errors that were IDE0, IDE1.

The C: Drive is quite full, 20 GB left out of 78GB. RAM is 512 MB.

I cleaned the inside of the computer the other day and removed the dust and made sure the fans were clean. I don't know what is causing the freezing. Any ideas?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

OK.

Possible overheating situations...when these occur, there are no errors noted or warnings of any type...the system just shuts down to protect itself.

How to Avoid Overheating - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Speaking of the system...manufacturer and model?

You have the minimum amount of RAM required to run iTunes, see http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/. Depending on what else you have installed, I would guess that your RAM amount is inadequate.

I would try the system without iTunes and whatever else (e.g., Quick Time) it installs...for a period of time. If the problems go away, you need to add more RAM if you want to tax the system in the manner that you seemingly desire.

Louis

#5 rainydaze

rainydaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:13 AM

Hello hamluis,

Sorry for the late reply. Itunes was the problem after all. I installed a newer version and fortunately everything is working fine now.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Much appreciated!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:42 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users