Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mobo/video card fried?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sevyn

Sevyn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:06 AM

I have been having a lot of trouble with my Toshiba laptop over the last week or so. I left it running a defrag one night and when I came back to it the next morning the OS had found a way to break beyond repair. I was using Vista at the time.
I downloaded and burned a recovery disc and (after losing all my data, great) got a fresh install of Vista working. Noting that even after all my drivers were reinstalled it still seemed to be running worse than ever, I set it up to dualboot Vista and Xubuntu, in the hopes that Xubuntu would run a little more cleanly... which it did.
Last night while my laptop was in the process of hibernating (inside of Xubuntu for the record), it stopped mid-way and small areas of the screen started flashing bright colours intermittently. I had to power it off after a few minutes of realizing this wasn't going to end on its own.

Since then it's been in the worst state yet - it powers on, but the display stays blank and it doesn't appear to even make an effort to load anything. I eventually have to power it off, which is unusual because normally in the beginning phases of booting I could just tap the power button to turn it off. This isn't the case anymore.
I have tried hooking up an external monitor but it gets no signal. The running theory is that the graphics card, and therefore the motherboard (curse integrated graphics cards!) is cooked. I'm just looking for a second or third or fourth opinion on this before I start the inevitably excruciating process of hunting down Toshiba for my warranty. :D

Please let me know if you guys have any other thoughts on the matter....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:52 AM

At this point I would have to concur with your assumption. I would track down your warranty and send it off for repairs :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Sevyn

Sevyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:18 PM

Problem solved!
Found the box and all the papers, brought it in to Staples to have them look at it before shipping it off, and the tech I was speaking with promptly fixed the issue. Something about the battery on laptops malfunctioning sometimes. It looked like a pretty simple issue, and apparently it happens all the time, but I had no idea nor would I have thought of trying that. I felt pretty dumb walking out of there, but at least I didn't have to ship it out for repairs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users