Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

annoying fan

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:46 AM

The fan will start making loud sound when:
- Watching a video online
- Browsing certain sites with interactive flash content
- Just plain browsing

It's even louder when playing pc games

PC SPEC

- Windows XP home edition SP3
- Intel Pentium 4
- CPU Speed 2.93GHz
- 1GB DDR RAM
- Intel 915GV Graphics chip
- Motherboard MSI MS-7036 (L-I915M)

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

Replace it, it's working too hard when doing certain activities...or the bearings are going bad.

"The fan" is incorrect...there are several fans in a system. You need to open the case and see which one is the source of the noise.

Eventually, if not now, the system may overheat.

Louis

#3 gully786

gully786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

Ok will do.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

Figure out which fan.

Could be power supply, CPU, video card...

Some systems have CPU and video cooling fans that change speed when things get hotter, say from CPU or video intense applications. That is what they do.

You can download third party apps to monitor your temps, fan speeds, (someone may suggest some good ones).

You can use them to determine - the fan is running at this speed and the temp is this (normal sounds). When I watch a video the temp goes up to here and the fan changes to this speed. Why is that?

Some let you set the fan at a max speed all the time so it never has to change - just run wide open all the time so the annoying speed changing sound never happens. But, it is changing for a reason.

How is your computer hygiene? There is a good BC tutorial about cleaning your system inside to make sure you have good circulation.

Could be "bad" thermal grease between your CPU and the cooling fan not allowing proper cooling. I have heard of regreasing to "fix" an overheating condition.

Could be a simple fan replacement with one of more efficient design. Fans have moving parts that can fail. There is a whole industry of elaborate CPU cooling devices for those overclocking gamers in the world.

I would figure it out by listening and looking at some numbers to be sure your CPU or video card does not overheat to the point of unrecoverable failure.

Eliminate guessing what it might be. Find it and fix it.

Edited by joseibarra, 15 September 2009 - 10:30 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:29 AM

Core Temp - http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Louis

#6 gully786

gully786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:02 AM

intel processor not supported program will not continue

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

Did you download the 32-bit version?

Louis

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:31 PM

Did you determine what fan is the issue?

Some devices do not have temperature sensors in them (I have read), or the free software may not understand all the sensors in the world.

A couple others are:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 gully786

gully786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:37 AM

Yep i downloaded the 32 bit version,

and the Fan in question is, this is gonna sound like im pc illeterate :thumbsup: , the big one connected to the motherboard (is that the cpu)

#10 gully786

gully786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:39 AM

speed fan is workin will post results

#11 gully786

gully786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:01 AM

Only one fan seems to be working out of the three

Im guessing those flames are not good

But, this is weird, the fan is no longer loud ?? no matter what i do that use to make it fan, except play a game, it will not now

:thumbsup:

Attached Files

• Attached File  fan.JPG   33.96KB   3 downloads

#12 gully786

gully786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

results when playing a game

fan speed upto 2600 rpm the image is wrong cause as soon as i come off the game it oes back down straight away

Attached Files

Edited by gully786, 17 September 2009 - 08:13 AM.

#13 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

the slowest fan in my old computer runs at 3000 up RPM
i had speed fan 2 years ago and it had one burning flame
system seemed fine(i checked petty often for dust and stuff)
2 years later the computer is still working
so speed fan is not so right

best way to get fan readings is in the bios

#14 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:17 AM

None of the stuff you download will fix your issue, which I think is the BIOS detects the CPU is running warm enough to kick up the fax speed. My old BIOS has the same feature, but I don't even know if it works with my activities. My BIOS also has a feature to shut the system down if the CPU gets too hot.

The fan speed switching is annoying, but sounds like it is doing it's job. Your CPU can run too hot, but unlikely to ever run too cool.

The part of the fan mechanism that contacts the CPU is the (generally aluminum) heat sink and between the two is a layer of thermal grease to increase heat transfer.

Unless your system was put together using components with gaming in mind, they are probably general purpose. There is a whole industry just for cooling gaming systems, or turning your general purpose system into a gaming system. I hear one guy spent over $4K on a tricked out system just for to play his games. That's his passion.

You can see if your BIOS supports an always run at maximum fan speed (run at max always). Sounds like your BIOS knows about at least two speeds since it makes the switch.

No more switching speeds, the fast speed will sound different, but you'll get used to it. I have done this on some laptops just because folks find the up and down speed sounds annoying and insist it is a problem that must be fixed (I'll fix it!).

You can buy a new fax with greater air moving capacity, but still may need to run it wide open to prevent switching speeds. You can look up the specs for your current fan and buy one that moves more air.

You can regrease the thermal connection to your CPU to fan with grease you can buy or will come with a new fan - this is an important part of the puzzle, and some people claim just regreasing is the ticket. I don't imagine this grease wears out, but merely taking things apart and putting them back together reaffirms the connection and heat transfer, no dust, screws are tight, etc.

The monitoring tools for speed and heat may not work "right" on every computer as you can see. It lists three possible fans, but you only have one that it knows about or can figure out based on your hardware. Flames do not necessarily mean "too hot". It means too hot as far as the program is concerned, but what does it know. I have flames too, but don't really care, since my system is not shutting down with a heat related issue.

Temp ranges for too hot, operating range, etc. vary by CPU, clock speed, etc. You can look it up.

I would just rely on the tools to see a before and after picture to know if any changes you make are effective.

I would say if your system is not shutting down because of heat, you just have an annoying problem and not a critical issue.

If your system shuts itself off after a while, cools off, runs again for a while, etc. then you probably do have a heat problem that should be investigated.

Do you have a heat problem? Your symptoms do not indicate an overheating condition.

Do you have an annoying fan problem? Sounds like it.

You can remove the annoyance problem in many different ways.

Edited by joseibarra, 17 September 2009 - 12:10 PM.

#15 gully786

gully786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

I,ve got cover on my pc allowing me to get free hardware changes
already had
-Motherboard
-DVD\CD Drive replaced
So i might as well get the fan replaced and see if anythin changes and if it doesnt well then the pc is doin its job eh

Thanks for Your help :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users