Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Upgrade This boat Anchor?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Krooz

Krooz

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:00 AM

I have an older desk top that a friend built. It's comparatively slow but does the job or at least has until lately. I think all the graphics and animation on so many sites now is the culprit and my machine can't handle it - I'm guessing here. Go to the NFL home page, for example and I might as well forget it and head for the laptop.The thing will frequently bog down - take forever - and often lock up on me.

Normally I use the desktop just to pay bills and do some light surfing but would like to see it operate better - I don't really want to spend the cash for a whole new machine. It's a 1.15GHZ, AMD ATHLON Processor, 256 MB RAM. I'm running XP Service Pack 2.

So - Would adding more RAM help or can I optimize in some other way? I'm sure I haven't provided enough here but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Krooz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:48 AM

You need RAM.

That being said, go into taskmanager and see how many processes you have running. Just a generalization, but on a normal system, without junk, I usually see ~32 processes running at idle. When you get a lot of background programs eating memory and CPU cycles, it slugs everything down. You can also go to "MSCONFIG">startup and eliminate unnecessary startup programs.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:04 PM

Use caution in the MSCONFIG program as you can cause all sorts of things to stop working properly. That PC is quite old, soon, a more extensive upgrade might be needed. Did a company like Dell or HP build your system? If so, which model is it?

3939.png

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

Definitly RAM. Sounds like its one of the Socket A ATHLONS, upgrading that would increase the smoothness of currently running programs, however it looks like you would need a new board too upgrade it as the Socket A's are pretty hard too come across. Changing the board means you need new RAM, and processor. Unless you really need it, which it doesnt really sound like, I'd recommend against it.

On the other hand, RAM is pretty cheep and most kinds are pretty easy too find. This will decrease load times significatly.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 Krooz

Krooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:49 AM

Thanks for advice. I found and pasted below the info on the build (an ME at work built it for me way back when). It sounds like adding RAM is the thing to do but if I'm reading this right I probably can only add another 256 184pin chip - correct? Or do I need to open it up and see how many empty slots I have? I appreciate the help.....

Krooz

Processors - AMD Athlon Thunderbird, XP, MP
AMD ATHLON XP 2000+/266 FSB PROCESSOR CPU - RETAIL BOX 2000+/ 1.67GHz, BOX2000DMT3C. 3 Years Warranty. The AMD Athlon XP processor with QuantiSpeed architecture powers the next generation in computing platforms, delivering extra performance for cutting-edge applications and an extra-ordinary computing experience.world's highest overall performing PC processor.
Specifications:
CPU: 1.67 GHz
Type: 2000 XP
Cache: 256K
BUS: 266MHz
Socket A (PGA) Retail(Box with Heatsink and Fan)

Motherboards - AMD
SHUTTLE AK31A AMD K7 VIA APOLLO KT266A DDR SOCKET A ATX MOTHERBOARD - RETAIL New Ver.. Support XP 2000+. VIA VT8366A/VT8233 Chipset. Supports AMD K7 Athlon/Duron FSB 200/266 Processors. Four 184 Pin Up to 4GB DDR SDRAM DIMM. Onboard AC97 Audio 1 4XAGP, 6XPCI, 1XCNR. Supports ATA 33/66/100 MB/s IDE Interface.
Tech Support Contact: service@shuttlegroup.com N82E16813150002

Memory - PC (DDR)
Crucial Micron 512MB 64x64 PC2100 DDR RAM, 184-Pin, CL=2.5-Unbuffered 2.5V, 6-Layers CT6464Z265 Requires DDR supported Motherboard - Lifetime Warranty.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:52 PM

According to the posted specs, it looks like you have 4 slots, able to accept a max of 4 Gigs of DDR memory.

Four 184 Pin Up to 4GB DDR SDRAM DIMM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Krooz

Krooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:51 AM

duh! - I don't know why I didn't see that. Great - I'll try that route.....

Thanks

Krooz

#8 Krooz

Krooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the RAM advice. I put in 1 GB of DDR RAM this morning and everything loads a LOT faster!! Wow. Much appreciated - I don't visit often, but as always, this is a great site......! :thumbsup:

Krooz

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:12 PM

Glad to hear it worked out for you, Krooz. :thumbsup:

In my opinion/experience, Microsoft's minimum requirement of 256 MB of RAM, is a joke.
Sure, XP will run with those specs, but just barely.
In reality, 512 MB should be the minimum.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

Back when MS released XP in 01', 256 MB was considered a lot. At that point, it was sufficient, but they should really update specifications when they start releasing Service Packs.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users