Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot start computer

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bluedart

bluedart

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:15 AM

Newbie here and I apologise if this has been discussed before - I can't find it if it has been.

I am using my laptop to broadcst this message and my main PC is switched on and sitting beside of me with the following message/s

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
System32\drivers\nvatabus.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I have tried what it has said above with no results

Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:33 AM

Hi bluedart. Welcome to BleepingComputer :thumbsup:

nvatabus.sys is NVIDIA® nForce™ IDE Performance Driver.

Download this file from nVidia : http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/nForce/...nstructions.zip
Read the Case 3 in the DOC file and follow instructions.
Copy nvatabus.sys from the downloaded Zip file to a USB pendrive (if you dont have floppy drive).

Edited by Romeo29, 15 September 2009 - 05:34 AM.

#3 bluedart

bluedart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:42 AM

Thanks Romeo29, all very informative and the pictures could not be more explainable.
However there is a slight problem - unless I am thicker than the norm?
1. Copy the “nvatabus.sys” file to a floppy disk. This file is included in the zip file that include these instructions.

I can't see that file to copy.

Whilst I am here, I have two Xp disks, it is asking for the original setup CD-ROM. Now sometime ago I had another major crash, it took a little while to get it fixed and it is possible that they used their own win XP disk and did not tell me - hence the reason I think that neither of the two Win XP disks are regognised. Unfortunately, the firm is no longer in existance, resession or depression I guess. How do I get around that?
Even if I bought another Win XP, it is still not going to marryup with the WIN XP as my now operating system, which is not operating at the moment.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:01 AM

I would start with a chkdsk to verify the integrity of the file system. A compromised file system is often the cause of these missing or corrupt errors. It usually just means XP can't find it (but it is there).

Eliminate any possibility of not using the "correct" bootable CD by making your own bootable XP Recovery Console CD, verify the file system, then troubleshoot.

Eliminate or repair possible file system corruption from a power failure, ungraceful shutdown or aborted restart.

Have any of these events occurred?

You should first boot your PC into the XP Recovery Console using a bootable XP installation CD or a bootable CD with the XP Recovery Console on it.

You can make a bootable Recovery Console CD by downloading an ISO file and burning it to a CD.

The same XP Recovery Console commands can be run from the bootable Recovery Console CD.

The bootable ISO image file you need to download is called:

xp_rec_con.iso

Download the ISO file from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ueyyzfymmig

Use this free and easy program to create your bootable CD:

http://www.imgburn.com/

It would be a good idea to test your bootable CD on the computer that is working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk. These adjustments are made before Windows tries to load. If you miss it, you will have to reboot the system again.

When you boot on the CD, follow the prompts:

Press any key to boot from CD...

The Windows Setup... will proceed.

Press 'R' to enter the Recovery Console.

Select the installation you want to access (usually 1: C:\WINDOWS)

You may be asked to enter the Administrator password (usually empty).

You should be in the C:\WINDOWS folder. This is the same as the C:\WINDOWS folder you see in explorer.

RC allows basic file commands - copy, rename, replace, delete, cd, chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr, etc.

From the command prompt window run the chkdsk command on the drive where Windows is installed to try to repair any problems on the afflicted drive. Running chkdsk is fine to run even if it doesn't find any problems.

Assuming your boot drive is C, run the following command:

chkdsk C: /r

Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find. It may take a long time to complete or appear to be 'stuck'. Be patient. If the HDD light is still flashing, it is doing something. Keep an eye on the percentage amount to be sure it is still making progress.

Remove the CD and type 'exit' to leave the RC and restart the computer.

You do not have to adjust the BIOS again to boot on the HDD since the CD will not be present.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:39 PM

Hi bluedart,
Here is screen shot of the zip file opened in WinRAR. You can see the file to be extracted onto a floppy disk or USB pendrive.
Posted Image

#6 bluedart

bluedart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:20 AM

Further info. my OS is on C, I have a raid set up with two 250 gig disks. I have placed the recovery info onto a cd, I place it into the cd drive, I hit the return button - as that is what I have to do to restart from the following point:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
System32\drivers\nvatabus.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

Just before I get the above message/s, I get:- Invalid BOOT.INI file Booting fromC:\windows\

I have gone into the bios and set to first boot from CD, I do not know quite, at what point I should hit the "r" button - but have tried every window that comes up.

I cannot start with chkdsk, as I cannot get into anywhere, where that is possible.

When I hit the delete to allow access to options, no matter what I highlight and enter, "windows default " highlighted comes up, I hit return and it starts over again, ie, no last config, safe mode, etc,etc.

Any further help would be much appreciated.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:23 AM

If you make the bootable Recovery Console CD, you can also fix your boot.ini file. A corrupted on will also sometimes generate the message missing file error message. This is generally easy to fix once you boot on the CD.

Did you make the RC CD and test the CD for bootablility (new word) on another computer? It is safe.

Boot on it, understand how it loads up, type exit at the prompt, remove the CD.

After you verify the CD, check/change change the BIOS on the afflicted computer to boot on the CD first, you should see a mesage that says:

Press any key to boot from CD...

The press R for the Repair or Recover option, continue.

Here is an MS article if you want to read it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

If you still get your old message, you are not booting on the CD.

Then, you follow the prompts as indicated.

This is the first time you mentioned a RAID configuration.

Someone will have to help to be sure chkdsk /r is appropriate for a RAID configutation - I can' try that here.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 bluedart

bluedart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

Thanks to all thus far.
Installed recovery consul on cd, everything is on it. Checked the bios which is dual bios by the way.
It is a RAID set up two x 250 gig WD

Standard CMOS Features press return to open it.
Date
Time
Ide Channel 0 Master [None]
Ide Channel 0 Slave [None]
Ide Channel 0 Master [None]
Ide Channel 0 Master [None}

Drive A [1.44M, 3.5"]
Floppy 3 Mode Support [Disabled]

Halt on [All , But Keyboard]

Advanced BIOS Features press return to open
Hard Disk Boot Priority [Press Enter] (Highlighted, so I press enter.
1. SCSI-0 : NVIDIA STRIPS 465.77G
2. Ch1 : hard drive connected but not used
3. Bootable Add-in Cards
press esc to go back
First Boot Device [CDROM]
Second Boot Device [CDROM]
Third Boot Device [CDROM]
Boot U&p Floppy Seek [Enabled]
Password Check [Setup]
Init Display First [Peg]

Integrated Periipherals press return to open

Everything in there is [Enabled] or [Disabled] the disabled items are not important for this problem.

I cannot get the damn thig to boot from the CDROM, which as you can see is FBD,SBD and TBD

How can I force it to read the cd?

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:28 PM

Did you test your new bootable CD in another computer to be sure the CD works?

Now we have info of a dual BIOS after the RAID revelation :thumbsup:

I could be blowin' some real smoke here.

I am not sure if chkdsk is appropriate for a RAID configuration (sometimes there are specific tools for that).

#10 bluedart

bluedart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

Did you test your new bootable CD in another computer to be sure the CD works?

I could not get it to work, but it showed that everything was on the disk 14.4 MB. I burnt it using magic ISO. I tried another disk just in case it wasn't a complete instal - no different.

I will keep searching for a solution, as I am sure there is one out there somewhere.

Thanks so far.

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:08 PM

Okay.

My directions are a copy/paste of directions I used to make my bootable RC disc and uses ImgBurn (yes, I have need for one sometimes!).

So I am only qualified (slightly) to talk about how that should work. It is the simplest and easiest method I have found.

The end result needs to be the same - a CD that will boot into the XP Recovery Console.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:21 PM

If you can see the contents but it won't boot...then it was not made properly, it's not bootable.

Did you use nLite to compile/make it?

Did you include the RAID driver...or does your BIOS do the IDE simulation thing?

Louis

#13 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

You said you have 2 XP CDs. No matter what kind of XP CD (Home or Prodessional) you have, you should be able to boot from it. Recovery Console can be run from any bootable XP CD.

You computer looks new. Possibly, you do not have to make changes to BIOS to go into Recovery Console. Most new computers support pressing of F12 to open up boot menu during booting. In it you can choose CD and you would boot from it.

#14 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:06 AM

I'm just gonna watch.

I am familiar with RAID and the system may require more at boot and the RC method I suggested does not take into account the possible need for RAID controllers, etc.

Edited by joseibarra, 17 September 2009 - 12:06 PM.

#15 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:49 AM

If you have RAID then you need to press F6 and provide RAID/SCSI driver on a floppy disk so that you can access hard disk later in Recovery Console.
Thats the only difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users