Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

explorer.exe failed to initialise 0XC0000006

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 klown30

klown30

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:12 AM

Hi all great website and an invaluable resource im really hoping you guys can help me.

I have borrowed a friends lap top do do some work on and kept noticing windows update saying available updates so being security aware i ran it and it installed service pack 3. No probs downloaded it etc and restart and am getting explorer.exe failed to initialise 0XC0000006 . Can no longer access desktop . Safe mode fails to boot properly and no icons etc. Tried running explorer.exe from task manager yet same error. Have tried system restore from task manager but same error. Please note i dont have a windows cd. Everything was fine before the update so am sure its not malware related. Sorry about lack of paragraphs im writing this via ps3. Please any help would be gratefully apreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:02 AM

I would try running chkdsk /r on the hard drive/partition...and then rebooting.

From Task Manager: File/New Task(Run)...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot, let the command execute...system will try to boot into XP when chkdsk /r is complete.

Louis

#3 klown30

klown30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

Hey louis.

Thanks for your response . However i seem to have fixed the error by system restoring to the earliest possible date I could. The restore took forever but no xp loads no error. Thanks again for your help I will copy and paste your fix in case it happens again.

Cheers.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:39 AM

Glad you solved it...I never think of System Restore as a solution (I have never used it, preferring regular system backups)...thanks for letting us know. Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users